• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health [pepper] ABORTION IS WRONG!

F*CKING cooler weather... they had so much potential...
Trimmed the plants for the cold season today. wtf am I gonna do with all these green bastards?? 
yp8z62d.jpg

Do you guys find that some green peppers are too earthy? Are them some you can have green and some you can't or is it a matter of horses for courses.

This is just part of a typical growing season.

Sarge is right.. they will naturally ripen quite a bit if you just give them a little time.

Everyone else is right too.  Nothing wrong with a well-developed green pod.  Still have considerable flavor and piquance. 

When was the last time you saw a non-green Anaheim/Jalapeno/Serrano in your local grocer?

EWarrenCoPepperKing said:
This is just part of a typical growing season.

Sarge is right.. they will naturally ripen quite a bit if you just give them a little time.

Everyone else is right too.  Nothing wrong with a well-developed green pod.  Still have considerable flavor and piquance. 

When was the last time you saw a non-green Anaheim/Jalapeno/Serrano in your local grocer?
Part of the season or not its still sad every time. If I wanted peppers you could by in the grocery store I wouldn't be growing all this stuff.
Sarge said:
Stuff them in brown paper bags with some bananas. If they're mature, they'll ripen.
Sarge I've used tomatoes before but not bananas do you know if they produce more ethylene?

Its interesting... I left alot of my unripe peppers on the plants after the first, second, and third frosts had effectively killed all of the green tissue... Basically if you went up to the garden you would see sticks with multi-coloured orbs decorating them.  I waited about a week after the thrid frost (as the weather hard warmed to 40-60) and by that time all of the remainging peppers had ripened.... and let me tell you... it was an all-day job picking that load of peppers.  Out of hundreds of peppers, only a handful were affected by the frost... the rest were as wonderful (or horrible) as ever.  So in the future i am not going to worry about picking unripe pods before the frost.

Thats very cool I would not have expected that.
I don't let the cold kill my plants though since it barely gets what you would call 'cold' here. Only a few nights a year get 'cold' cold.
So instead of letting the plants die, I prune the way back and throw a sheet over them. Come February, sheet will come off and they'll be growing again.

impending_bending said:
F*CKING cooler weather... they had so much potential...
Trimmed the plants for the cold season today. wtf am I gonna do with all these green bastards??
I have had some just set fruit in the past couple weeks! Mine are in pots though so the ones I care about I'm bringing inside at night. I have one that is datil (I think) and it has a few peppers that have been mature and sitting on the plant for at least 5-6 weeks and still aren't ripe. I guess it just takes longer in the "cold".

fuxtik said:
I have had some just set fruit in the past couple weeks! Mine are in pots though so the ones I care about I'm bringing inside at night. I have one that is datil (I think) and it has had a few peppers that have been mature and sitting on the plant for at least 5-6 weeks and still aren't ripe. I guess it just takes longer in the "cold".
I wish I could bring mine in, but I got way too many and a lot are in 25 gallon pots sooo... yeah I'm sol. Plus the wife would stab me

Most of the pods look ripening already.  Should turn red soon enough. Use 'em for something sweet tasting, it would hide the bitterness quite well.

Back