• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pepper and Coriander

Recently I had a lot of peppers to process, mostly moderate hots of several kinds, and some sweets.

The loaner food processor is down, so it;s either chopping by knife, or the 1960s Oster blender.  I went with chopping, to make some fork-snack peppers. 

I stemmed and seeded the peppers, and cut them into rings. I tried to mix colors. I wish I had more green. I also cut some red onion strips, though they blanched white in cooking.

chopped_peppers.jpg

I made a basic water-vinegar-salt brine, but I wanted to add something more. I have some whole coriander seeds, so I put a palm full of them in the brine and ran that through the blender.  This chopped/shredded them. 

I set up a big pot of boiling water, and I heated the brine to a gentle simmer. I blanched the peppers, in batches, for about 45 seconds or so. I packed jars and poured brine to cover. No hot bath.

View attachment 82113

After a few days I opened a jar to sample. The heat is maybe 6/10 and the peppers still have some crispness. But dang I really like that strong coriander; I don't think I've even combined those flavors before.

I'm tempted to make a sweet version.

Attachments

• peppper_jars.jpg
    peppper_jars.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 83
Given that cilantro is a key constituent of mexican salsa, it's also no wonder that the cilantro seed (coriander) is also good :-)

Back