• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper color change

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
Talk about quick :)

The other day I asked the question on whether to pick a pepper that I saw wasn't growing yet, and the recommendation was to wait for the color to change. Well, it has... spectacularly so! It's now very bright red, and went from being green to red in the span of less than 36 hours. Here's a pic of it:

2012-06-03_16-36-59_223.jpg

I decided that the pepper was sufficiently red so I picked it, and took a nibble. The very tip of it, and nothing... at first. I cut it open and took out the seeds (more than 20), and took a piece of a couple millimeters with placenta, and my mouth instantly fell like it caught on fire. Good heat, and quite a lot, so much so, even several goes of mouthwash were needed to quench it.

It's definitely a keeper. In fact I got it in the fridge right now. Got two or three more peppers on deck doing a color change in a couple of weeks. May just make my first can of sauce from them ;)

I do love me some kung pao chicken! It's my absolute favorite chinese dish. Hell, it's what I use to check how good a chinese cook is when I've moved into a new area :)

And after doing a fair bit of research, I think I finally pinned down the pepper in question. I think the seeds I got were that of a De Arbol chili. The color, size, shape all seem to match up. That and it's kinda spicy to boot. The pics of it on Wikipedia look exactly like the pepper I picked last night...

Back