Pepper crusted short ribs

This is why I love cooking sous vide. Tender short ribs that are still medium rare! Uncured with a mild pepper rub at 136 F for 24 hours and seared to finish. The texture reminded me of a filet but with all the short rib flavor. Absolutely going to do this one again.   

eZBRs0Q.jpg

Garlic mash and asparagus call me done. 

SL3 said:
Wow! 24 hours and cooked to perfection. Good job. I should taste test just to make sure though.  :D
Thanks! I'd have you come down if I were still living in San Diego. I miss it out there for sure. 

Nice ... still quite rare-ish (in color) for a 136F dip ...

Was just saying earlier, short-rib meat is dreamy.

Nice job on the sear - what technique did you use for this one? ...

grantmichaels said:
Nice ... still quite rare-ish (in color) for a 136F dip ...

Was just saying earlier, short-rib meat is dreamy.

Nice job on the sear - what technique did you use for this one? ...

I got the meat from a local butcher who only sources grass fed beef and dry ages all of it which probably contributed to color. I used a cast iron skillet for the sear. I've got a le creuset knockoff that holds and distributes heat very well.  

Makes sense ...

It's making it appear like maybe ~7-9F lower in temp than in actuality, and I can see the texture is nice, like 134F-138F (where I like to eat beef out of the sous vide, texture-wise) ...

Good food for thought over on this end of the wire, certainly ...

I happen to have an extra freezer that I haven't populated with kegs yet. Maybe it's time to set the temp-controller for dry aging. I'd considered it, had just been a bit lazy about getting to it ...

Hmmmm ... that's probably going to have to happen now.

CHEERS!

Back