• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Pepper Economics - Why you should stop talking about the "World's Hottest"

Spicegeist said:

I'll be curious to see how these grow out for you.  Where did you find the seed?

I've found seeds in the Bjarne's shop, the guy behind the Bhut Orange Copenaghen.
I'll let you know how these will turn out for sure and possibly send you some Charles.

Cya

Datil

It wasn't really the heat of peppers that got me into it but more the interest in growing different kinds that I can use with food and share around. I grow super hots mostly this year since our yard has a few of the normal peppers you find. What really appeals to me is the look of the pepper. I can't turn an eye to those nasty, fat, pimply, crinkly scorpion tailed peppers. They look awesome. I picked a couple varieties for next year simply based on visual appeal.

The ghost pepper drew me in. I cared more about that pepper than the TS Butch T.  I still love the bhut jolokia more than 7 pots and TS Butch Ts. It was my first superhot I ate. Before that I was growing orange habaneros, cayennes, jalapenos, thai peppers, etc.

"SuperHot" foodie challenges are still popular, as is the growing demand for "very hot".
Even fast food is getting into the game.
Though not quite fast food, Red Robin is offering a Bhut Burger.

Most claim a "secret mixture of several types" and use a large quantity.

Marketing ploys:
The "Just One Pepper" or "Just One Teaspoon" menu item.
How about "Today's world record pepper" ?

Just one (insert pepper here) chopped up or pasted on a bun inder the burger/filet/breast---Just one teaspoon of powdered (insert pepper here) on a half dozen wings.

I dream of the day when most establishments have a pepper shaker full of superhot flakes like you find in a pizza place with common red peppers.

Royalty free ideas----run with it.

Reactions: SL3
Agree titles are essentially worthless and more of a sell out than anything. I grow mine for the love of it. They're beautiful plants with gorgeous fruits, the flavor is amazing yet it comes at a price....a very very painful one :mouthonfire:  thats the beauty of it. Damn I love these plants. The heat just ends up being addicting after awhile :dance: its just amazing.

Titles are FAR from worthless.
$ talks.

Facebook etc. has assured that names will rule as long as the masses keep posting whatever gets the most hits.

Pepper Joe proves my point by marketing the reaper as he did...love,hate or threats on his part kept sales coming in.
He'll be patting himself on the back and have trouble not laughing every time he goes to the bank for a long time I think.

The edge of the coin is people into chilis in general.
The purists?,The people who want pure varieties of every pepper ever grown.
landrace,Heirloom,wild varieties etc. from all over the world

Then the others side of the coin is the masses of hybrids and the tons of people who will pay any price to get the magic beans that might grow whatever.
As long as it looks nasty...looks and the cross are the goal.
Waste a wild after you crossed it.
Crosses are what matters.

Foodies,Man Vs food,heat seekers or whatever are only off shoots of the facebook type thing.

For me it's getting to be there is no happy medium anymore.
A real shame,I only wanted to grow every pepper known to man and spread seeds around.
Can't even buy a lot of seeds that a few years ago were a dime a dozen.

I lost 5000 varieties and strains of pure seeds last spring.
15 yrs of buying seeds and or isolating grow outs myself.
Some were trades,but not most.

Vendors I purchased a lot of seeds from sell them no more.
Crosses and supers rule.
Most of them are one trick ponies anyway.

smokemaster said:
$ talks.

Facebook etc. has assured that names will rule as long as the masses keep posting whatever gets the most hits.

Pepper Joe proves my point by marketing the reaper as he did...love,hate or threats on his part kept sales coming in.
He'll be patting himself on the back and have trouble not laughing every time he goes to the bank for a long time I think.

Then the others side of the coin is the masses of hybrids and the tons of people who will pay any price to get the magic beans that might grow whatever.

Foodies,Man Vs food,heat seekers or whatever are only off shoots of the facebook type thing.

A real shame,I only wanted to grow every pepper known to man and spread seeds around.

Crosses and supers rule.
Yes, and I'm sorry you see it that way. Very shallow yet real perspective. Let the crosses come, just preserve the roots. Nice to see the variety of opinions here on the forum though.

smokemaster said:
$ talks.

Crosses and supers rule.
Hate to remind you of your lost seeds, but how did that happen? 

Electricity was out for a couple weeks.
My place is all electric.
Outside temps were high 90's,inside was as hot actually hotter.
Cinderblock house didn't cool off until the breaker box got fixed.
Seeds got too hot.
I get,at most 1 or 2 seeds to even sprout and weak plants that don't live.
Some of the seeds I purchased only a few months before.
My place got hot and stayed that way for too long.

Several days I came home to 100 degree temps. indoors...

I had everything Peppermania,Rainbow Chile seeds,Pepper joe,U.S.hot stuff,Tomato Growers,tropical seed,terra time tide and most other seed vendors in the U.S. sold.
Then add in my trades...and nursery plant seed stock.
Lots of non replaceable pure stuff etc.

Back