Pepper Emergency!

Hey you all.  I posted a little while ago about why my lower leaves were turning white and you thought it might be over watering so I slacked off on the water with the hope that the new growth would thrive and now I have a new and much worse problem.

Something has atacked the top leaves on half the plants and gone from 0 to 60 in about 3 days.  I was hoping you all could take a quick look at this picture and offer some advice on what I might be able to do to save them.

http://prntscr.com/8hx1iy

Thanks!

Get some antibiotics. Copper and mancozeb preferably. Others can help too, but if it is what I think it is they should be back  after being treated for a few weeks.

cruzzfish said:
Get some antibiotics. Copper and mancozeb preferably. Others can help too, but if it is what I think it is they should be back  after being treated for a few weeks.
Thanks Cruzzfish!  Is there a particular type you recommend?  I'm new and have never shopped for it.  Do they have it at a regular lawn and garden place like Home Depot?

Also is it a spray and if so do I spray the soli too?

Boans said:
Thanks Cruzzfish!  Is there a particular type you recommend?  I'm new and have never shopped for it.  Do they have it at a regular lawn and garden place like Home Depot?

Also is it a spray and if so do I spray the soli too?
Yeah, they're sprays. I get the Bonide one for both, and it should drip into the soil just fine if you get both top and bottom of the leaves. Also, I'm not perfect, so please ask other people for opinions also before you order anything, as they might see something I don't.

Mancozeb needs diluting though.

cruzzfish said:
Yeah, they're sprays. I get the Bonide one for both, and it should drip into the soil just fine if you get both top and bottom of the leaves. Also, I'm not perfect, so please ask other people for opinions also before you order anything, as they might see something I don't.

Mancozeb needs diluting though.
Thanks again, but is there a more natural treatment I can try first?  I'm growing them with my little toddlers and I was hoping to keep them as organic as possible (if I can help it)?

Boans said:
Thanks again, but is there a more natural treatment I can try first?  I'm growing them with my little toddlers and I was hoping to keep them as organic as possible (if I can help it)?
I tried several more organic treatments when I had it, and only ended up with dead plants. Even each of those sprays doesn't work if you only use one. I like to grow organically as well, but in this case I'd let it slide. Your kids should be safe though as long as you keep them supervised when it's still wet. Also, how do they like growing plants? It's great to start them young. I still have a plant that I got when I was eight or nine, I think.

cruzzfish said:
I tried several more organic treatments when I had it, and only ended up with dead plants. Even each of those sprays doesn't work if you only use one. I like to grow organically as well, but in this case I'd let it slide. Your kids should be safe though as long as you keep them supervised when it's still wet. Also, how do they like growing plants? It's great to start them young. I still have a plant that I got when I was eight or nine, I think.
Well, I've been power-reading over here and it seems that the Bonide Copper works for both fungus and bacterial and is more natural than the other so I will give that a shot first.  The kiddos were fine with it at the start, but these little guys (Carolina Reapers) are super slow growers so as the weeks and months pass the novelty is wearing off and I inherit more of the work!

Boans said:
Well, I've been power-reading over here and it seems that the Bonide Copper works for both fungus and bacterial and is more natural than the other so I will give that a shot first.  The kiddos were fine with it at the start, but these little guys (Carolina Reapers) are super slow growers so as the weeks and months pass the novelty is wearing off and I inherit more of the work!
Bonide copper needs to be used alongside Bonide mancozeb for bacteria leaf spot, which I think this is. Spray them at the same time.

cruzzfish said:

Mancozeb is a fungicide, not an antibiotic. What is it you think you're trying to treat here?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Mancozeb is a fungicide, not an antibiotic. What is it you think you're trying to treat here?
Mancozeb is a fungicide, but it also seems to be toxic to bacterial leaf spot. I've had success using it alongside the copper solution, even when the copper didn't work.

To the OP, more pics, please! ;)  It's hard to tell if those are BLS or some other foliar disease by looking at the one you posted. Bacterial afflictions will present with lesions that appear to have a wet, water-soaked margin. That's kind of a tell tale sign of BLS. If that's the case, Mancozeb will be expensive, useless poison for which there is no reason to apply. 
     You could also try taking an affected leaf off the plant. Cut it with a scissors through the middle of the lesion and suspend it in a glass of water (use a wire to hang it or something). Look at it a few hours or a day later. If it has streams of tan colored goo oozing out on the cut leaf surface, you most likely are dealing with some flavor of BLS. 
     Good luck and get back to us with more pics and more information!

cruzzfish said:
Mancozeb is a fungicide, but it also seems to be toxic to bacterial leaf spot. I've had success using it alongside the copper solution, even when the copper didn't work.

If you're seeing an effect on bacteria from using Mancozeb at listed rates, you should publish, because that's a first. That or you were successfully treating a fungal foliar disease mistaken for BLS. In which case you should work on your foliar disease ID.  ;)

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

If you're seeing an effect on bacteria from using Mancozeb at listed rates, you should publish, because that's a first. That or you were successfully treating a fungal foliar disease mistaken for BLS. In which case you should work on your foliar disease ID.  ;)
Hey. Someone else identified it as BLS.

Although apparently other growers note that Mancozeb helps with bacteria leaf spot.

https://ipm.illinois.edu/diseases/rpds/910.pdf

And it should be noted that the copper is also technically a fungicide.

Edit: According to the link, the mancozeb "increases the amount of copper in solution'. Not sure how that helps if it's already dissolved completely, but I have definitely noticed a difference between mancozeb and non mancozeb containing solutions.

Current BLS ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442630594.296763.jpg

Still hard to tell from bad pics, but it looks more like BLS than the OP's pics. I'll try to take a better look tomorrow when I'm not full of beer.

cruzzfish said:
 All I know is that something very similar to this vanished after I treated it like BLS. 

Know your enemy.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     To the OP, more pics, please! ;)

Thanks so much for all of the help.  What a great community you all have here.  Sadly I only frantically took one pic to post and then clipped off all of the affected leaves.

I promised everyone at home I'd only go organic so I just ran to Home Depot and grabbed a Bonide Copper spray.  I figured people use it as a preventative too so I can't really go wrong with one application of that and then wait to see how much this comes back.

If it does I will repost more detailed pics so hopefully it can help you all in the future.

grantmichaels said:

Has anyone heard of [SIZE=12.8px]AgriPhage it's a commercial fungicide that is actually a virus that attacks BLS bacteria and others, Farmers spray it as a deterrent to keep it under control, I contacted them and am waiting on them to send me info on purchasing , The guy I talked to was cool but kept saying it was for commercial use only but he never told me he wouldn't sell it to me however has not replied to me email regarding an account with them through my business.. I told him that if he sold to the public he would make a killing, He told me it was hard enough getting approved to sale it as it is.  It really seems like something that will make a difference. Look it up if enough of us bug him we may be able to get some lol It was like $38 dollars a quart and a quarter quart treats an acre.   [/SIZE]

Yeah, I've posted about that ... when I contacted them I think the deal was the cost of the sample analysis ... it's custom-formulated if I recall ... things could have changed, in 2-3 yrs, though ...
Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Still hard to tell from bad pics, but it looks more like BLS than the OP's pics. I'll try to take a better look tomorrow when I'm not full of beer.
Those are just freshies, look at the neighbors ...

image.jpg

And look down, here ...

image.jpg

Recently ...

image.jpg

I'm with Grant and Hybrid on this one. That doesn't look like bacterial or fungal to me. Looks like a combo of overwatering, wacky ph and deficiencys, or severe overfert. Hard to say without more info because alot of the symtoms are similar.

Bottom leaves are yellow, could be lacking N.

All leaves are pale, could be lacking N or mg or too much water.

Leaves all bubbly, could be lacking Ca.

Edges of leaves all crispy, possible fert overload.

Possible root rot if was overwatered alot.

Tell us more info.
Soil type? Looks barky (lots of bark breaking down uses up lots of nitrogen)
Fert type?
How often you fert?

I'd pull it out of pot just to check on roots to see if they are nice white or brown. Just some stuff to check before you start blastin' chemicals all over it.

Back