• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pepper Fish 2020

So I've been wanting to start a grow log of this year but as usual I'm running late.  I got laid off last week (thanks Corona Virus) so I figured now that I have all this new found time on my hands I would finally get started, better late than never they say.  First a little about what I'm trying to do.

My lady and I recently bought a property in zone 7b in the Piedmont of North Carolina.  I had been working full time and putting any extra money into starting a farm.  Obviously my recent unemployment has thrown a wrench in the gears and without the off farm income to invest into the property things will move at a slower pace, but my ultimate goal has not changed.  I am still working on most of my plots, having to break ground on the one I intend for pepper production but already have some cool weather crops in the ground.  With so many moving parts it is entirely possible that the wheels could come off of this project before I get the chance to harvest any pods but I'm going to do my best to get this done.  All in all, I am growing roughly 80 varieties this year.  

They include:

Airtama Biquino 
Aji Amarillo 
Aji Dulce Red
Aji Dulce Yellow Round
Aji Dulce Orange
Aji Guyana
Aji Mango Round
Aji Margariteno
Aji Panca
Aji White Fanasy 
Alba Regina
Aleppo
Ampuis
Arequijeno Rojo Rocoto
Ashe County Pimento
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Giant Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Strain II
Bhut Jolokia White
Carolina Reaper
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca (Pasilla)
Chocolate Ghost
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Choricero
Corno di Torro Giallo
Criolla de Cocina
Datil
Devils Brain
Doux de Landes
Dulce de Espana
Fatalii
Fish
Frontera Sweet
Granada Seasoning
Harold St Barts
Himo Togarashi
Jalapeno M
Jamacian Hot Chocolate
Jimmy Nardello
Joes Long Red Cayenne
La Huala Orange Rocoto
Liebesapfel
Malaysian Goronong
Marconi Sweet Red Patio
Maris Biber
Mirisol (Guajillo) 
MOA Red Scotch Bonnet
MOA Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Mulato Isleno
Negro de Valle
Orange Thai
Paradicsom Alaku Sarga Szentes
Petit Marseillais
Pico de Gallo
Piment DEspelette
Pineapple Rocoto
Piquillo de Lodosa
Poblano (Ancho)
Prik Chi Faa
Quadrato DAsti Rosso
Rooster Spur
Scotch Brain
Shishito 
Sweet Banana
Sweet Spanish Long
Tam Jalapeno
Tekne Domasi
Tobago Treasure
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad X
Tunisian Baklouti
White Thai
Yellow CARDI Trinidad Scorpion
Yellow Pixie
Yellow Reaper
Yellow Scotch Bonnet

Not all varieties have geminated yet and I'll be sure to update my list if any result in a total failure.  My seeds came from multiple sources and I will be sure to give credit where due once I start pulling pods.  I don't expect every variety to be successful (I'm looking at you Rocotos) but the idea is to make organza bags and save the seeds from the strongest genetics for next year's production.

I had hoped to build a greenhouse this winter, but spring seemed to come awfully quickly and now I am unemployed so that project has been pushed back to late summer.  Germination occurs on a heat mat under florescence lights and transplants get placed under 2 600w metal halides.  I am working on a simple outdoor "incubator" made from straw bales and greenhouse plastic.  The plan is to move established plants out to the incubator tomorrow to make room for the newly transplanted under my 600w's.

Peppers.jpg

I currently have about 600 plants transplanted into 3" pots with about that left to go.  I'll be sure to update this post with my progress and total numbers as time moves forward.  

Good Luck to everyone growing this year!

Checking in with a much needed update to the post...

Things are really starting to take off and pods are filling in nicely.  So far I've only been harvesting Himo's and Shisito's but that should change soon.  Here are a few pics of the progress.

0Vkh3Rr.jpg

Haven't got everything trellised yet but the I'm getting there.  Need to cut the grass too, but I'll get to that next week.

kB2NHcS.jpg

Bhut Jolokia White W Strain

cvlKLvh.jpg

Got one starting to ripen

LOUj4Ly.jpg

Yellow Pixie

5MPAGaq.jpg

Fatalii

pYDU3iQ.jpg

MOA Red Scotch Bonnet

OTozNzt.jpg

Funky looking reapers

eJvcoDA.jpg

First ripe Rooster Spur

yzBKy7F.jpg

Aji Guyana, these plants took some damage from the late freeze mid-May but are coming back strong.

IN0f724.jpg

Petit Marseillais, these took heavy damage from the freeze but have grown back nicely as well.

DApcRpb.jpg

Scotch Brain, some of the most remarkable recoveries have been the chinenses.  These died back almost all the way to the ground, but the roots stayed alive and they had started to show signs of life when I was deciding what to pull.  Glad I left them.  There aren't any flowers yet but I have a feeling they'll be loaded with pods by mid-August. 

osC92lW.jpg

Found one of these guys in the pepper patch.  He had eaten an entire plant.  Luckily only one though.  I've pulled a dozen or so out of my tomatoes and wow can they do some serious damage.  I thought it had to be a deer or groundhog when I first noticed it.  They blend in so well with the plants I didn't even see them until a couple days and several more plants later.

All in all though, I'm happy with the progress thus far.  Really can't wait to start pulling ripe pods, hopefully soon!  Good luck to everyone and Happy Gardening!!!

Looking really good,  Jonathan!
Some impressive pods coming along!

Looking good, tons of pods coming your way. Those hornworms are incredible eaters. I found one a couple of days ago and threw it in a bucket with the leaf and stem he was hanging onto. The next day there was no sign of that leaf. The worm was walking around the bucket looking for food. I added leaves from a pepper plant and within an hour I could see the amount has decreased. Kind of a fun experiment, but I don't need another pet I'm afraid his days are numbered

Very nice PF. Lots of pods, which is great, but the overall health of your plants is impressive. Nice deep green color, no noticeable  leaf damage -- really nice looking grow.

DownRiver said:
Very nice PF. Lots of pods, which is great, but the overall health of your plants is impressive. Nice deep green color, no noticeable  leaf damage -- really nice looking grow.
Thanks. I try to make sure they get plenty of nitrogen through the month of June to build up their canopy. I'll start dialing that back and picking up the phosphorus on my next feeding. The pods should start flooding in by mid-July and they'll be nice and shaded from sun scald through the dog days of summer.

Back