• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pepper flower coming in

most of my plants are anywhere from 6-10 inches tall right now and none of them are branching out but a few are getting flower on top(pictured below) I was wondering if the ones with flower should be pinched(just the flower or the top foliage)? does it promote more growth if I do? Or do I just let them do what they do.
next week they will be potted up into there final pots or into the ground.
417594_3047763427643_1069905894_32927097_459420196_n.jpg

401051_3047755907455_1069905894_32927094_865065103_n.jpg

Hey, pshngo! For my money, if they're to be transplanted that soon, leave 'em.
If the plant doesn't want them, they will fall off anyway! Those are real
beauties, I'd hate to mess with 'em ; )

Half will say yes, half will say no. Will it stay inside? If you are keeping it inside and potted I'd let it roll as is. If you are transplanting outdoors I'd nip it off. Once it is to its final pot or ground I never stop it from doing its thing. I say nature knows best.

Yep natures knows best!

here i have some nice plant dropping flowers... means that the day as not come yet...
they fall more energy goes in the leaves and in the plant itself...
once ready a second wave of flower will probably set enough to heat the house for all next winter

yeah I was wondering about this too with mine a little while ago, I trimmed them off my Bulgarian carrot, the first one to get flowers and it grew/branched out really quickly after that.. then most of my other plants starting getting buds everywhere, and the BC was plenty big for now in it's 1 gallon pot (about.. 20" maybe not really sure, I clipped it when it was from 10-15".. it grew the extra 5+ inches really fast) so I just let them all go, too many tiny buds to try to pick off.. and now it is cool, I have about... I dono 20+ peppers forming now about a month later...(and actually that pepper in my avatar is the first one... I just checked tonight and it is about.. I think an 1"-1.25" long now, pretty cool stuff (Bulgarian Carrot)

with that said, I have 60+ plants in party cups i need to transplant once Agway gets Perlite in, hopefully this thursday, and the Cherry Peppers and a few other fast growing pepper plants have buds and flowers on them.. since I will be repoting them, and I would personally like them to get a little bigger (the cherry plants are about 10" tall, but they are cherry plants, so they have a lot of growing to do), and I have 2 months or so before they go outside.. I will clip all the flowers off that I see when I transplant them, but after that I will probably just let them go.. too much hassle to keep after them, and they can do what they want, but I found that the initial picking of the buds promotes a lot of fast new growth, at least in C. annuums, not really sure about all the other kinds, I will probably do the same if they do it when they are small, just because it is easy when there are only a few, and I would like to get those slower growing plants boosted up a little.. and I don't need pods right now lol

again I go into more detail than I planned, but bottom line, it's personal preference really and like everyone else said, what you plan to do with them

Pinching promote more growth. The plant is focusing its energy on the flower and then it will focus on the fruit causing it to not foliate nearly as much. At that size it should be pinched.

Last year I didn't, this year I did.

Didn't see much difference on my Thai Sun. By the next day, I had scores of unopened flowers on it once again.

my habs on the other hand, it seemed like it doubled in some dimensions. But it still hasn't tried to put out more fruit.

So my guess is that its variety dependent, and that only trial and error across a life time of growing hot peppers is going to make any difference.

I say whatever you decide, save me a pod off that plant. That's a beautiful healthy looking plant. My vote goes with the let nature run it's course crowd, but I'm a newbie to this all so what do I know.

What is the Kelvin rating on the lights you are using and the light cycle. This could cause the plant to flower prematurely if not proper ratings and cycles.

^^ I dono, I had mine at 6,500k lights running 18/6 hour cycles, and they still flower like crazy even when they are short and younger.. I think that applies to pot and other plants like that, but not so much peppers/tomatoes ect.. I could always be wrong but from what I have gathered on here, I didn't think it made much of a difference.. but i dono, it's something to check out :think:

Back