Pepper franchises / collectives?

I am not sure I have the right words: collectives, franchises, realms???

I am starting to notice that there are groups of merchants who seem to have the same products and prices?  I think I first noticed it when Pepper Joe and Puckerbutt teamed up to promote and sell the Carolina Reaper.  But since then, it seems like various merchants act like a collective (that might be the word).  It also seems like various collectives bicker collectively.  Like collective A vs. collective B in the various forums.  Much more so on Facebook than on THP. 

Thought of another word: Associations

Has anyone else noticed this?

I vote for realm. Very Dungeons and Dragons.

I think independent sellers of anything are always checking each other's prices and using them as guides for their own products.

In business it's called a strategic partnership (aka strategic alliance).

The Hot Pepper said:
In business it's called a strategic partnership (aka strategic alliance).

So something beyond just buying from someone who wholesales and selling to the public?  Could it maybe be an exclusivity thing?  Example: Company A supplies company B with an exclusive seed.  Company B agrees not to grow it for seed stock.  Company A benefits from continued wholesale sales and company B benefits fro having a hard to get seed stock to sell.  Something like that?  I think agreements like that could greatly benefit seed developers.

Sure. It's basically a partnership based on contracts, it can include exclusivity, it depends on the contract and strategy.

Sometimes I wish I had more of a business mind.  I can never quite grasp things like the McRib being available for a limited time only. If that strategy worked why would the Big Mac be a staple?  What makes the McRib the one to be limited time only?  Obviously someone in marketing knows because they make a fortune.

AJ Drew said:
Sometimes I wish I had more of a business mind.  I can never quite grasp things like the McRib being available for a limited time only. If that strategy worked why would the Big Mac be a staple?  What makes the McRib the one to be limited time only?  Obviously someone in marketing knows because they make a fortune.

Supply and demand my friend.  When you cut supply you increase demand.  Whenever McD's re-launches the McRib they get a ton of exposure - so many outlets are looking for things to report - so that generates a lot of buzz and interest.  By making the McRib an 'only once in a while' item, McDonald's drives traffic to its stores - and plenty of people but more than just the McRib.  I've also heard rumors that McD's only makes the McRib when pork prices fall to a certain level but I think that's been proven incorrect over time.

I have had exactly one McRib in my life and it wasn't a pleasant experience that I'd repeat unless I were very hungry.  My younger brother is a fkn fanatic for them though.  

OK, but how do they know to do that with the McRib and not something else?  How did Tabasco figure out people would wig over scorpion Tabasco?  Better yet, this year's most wanted Christmas gift?  I can understand things like Black Friday Sales.  Make something cheap enough, people are going to want to buy it.  But the rest of marketing?  Not so much.  It is amazing.

If you drink our bier, half naked cheer leaders will adore you.

What are you trying to achieve, is the question? If you let us know your objective we can help better with answers. But McDonald's has limited time offers to test markets and spends millions to marketing firms etc. so it's not as simple as saying, "this" is how they do it.

The Hot Pepper said:
What are you trying to achieve, is the question? If you let us know your objective we can help better with answers. But McDonald's has limited time offers to test markets and spends millions to marketing firms etc. so it's not as simple as saying, "this" is how they do it.

I have lots of random thoughts off season.  Maybe one turns into something down the road.  Also, always trying to figure out marketing.  But I admit, this curiosity was hatched as I observed pepper camps in various forums.  First I observed groups support the head of click A or click B.  Then I started looking to those who had businesses and the things they offer for sale often reflect the click preferences.

Personally, although i mess up some times, I am trying to model myself after you a bit.  There is no way you have not formed opinions over the years, you see it all played out right here in your forum.  But you do not publically take a strong stance on any of the bickering.

Back