• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper grafting theory. Plausible?

I was thinking about grafting today and came up with an idea.

I know people graft slow growing cacti to a faster growing type to speed up the growth of the slower growing cactus. Do you think this same principle would work with peppers? Grafting a slow growing chinense onto a faster growing anuum stalk to speed up the chinense growth.

Has anyone tried this?

I would say no it would not work they are two different types if you took a Chinense and put it on a Chinense it would but not chinense x annum

I would say no it would not work they are two different types if you took a Chinense and put it on a Chinense it would but not chinense x annum

I see how that is. Your grafting the Chinese to the annum so the Chinese won't grow any faster because you haven't changed the genetics of it all. But if i tried to do this in a giant pot and grafted 2 small plants to one bigger one would i get a super sized plant that puts out 3 kinds of pods? Like maybe use an annum that's grown quite a bit and has a massive root base to it and hook on 2 Chinese. Idk i could see how maybe out would make them grow a little faster cause the giant root ball would have so much energy built up in it.

Just some of my quick thoughts. Might give this a try for fun

The Chile inst. had a video about their grafts a long time ago.
They commented on tomato and pepper grafts they were doing at the time.
The video is probably still out there somewhere.

I tried to graft a bunch of stuff to my Habanero De Arbol.
It didn't work outside.Grafts lasted a long time but eventually died.
I was told later I should have used a different graft...
It was too much hassle so I lost interest,then mites killed the plant.

I think you need to be able to control conditions better.

I do remember ,years ago a guy grafted a Jalapeno to his indoor Habanero plant.

There were pics and a video(I think) of the process and resulting plant.
It was back when Web of Hair did his Hab./Jalapeno cross.

I think it would most certainly work. Several commercial growers and many hobbyist are growing tomatoes grafted onto eggplant rootstocks. In Australia they graft eggplants and tomatoes onto a Devilplant. It’s a member of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family of plants, which also includes tomato, potato, eggplant, chilli peppers, capsicum, tobacco, petunias and many others.

http://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/grafting-eggplant-onto-devil-plant/?blogsub=confirming

There are cases where the same plant has eggplants and tomatoes growing on it. I bet I can find photos of peppers grafted onto tomato or vicey versey.

https://youtu.be/7Bc6TnSYK2o

Sorry all for dredging up old stuff, but this is what I have been having in mind for a ling time, and like CBarkely, I had the same idea that if I were to graft a super hot onto a bell pepper, would I get super big as well as super hot peppers?

I have tried this method (below) and it didn't work for me, quite possibly due to low humidity and temps, but hey:

So, who else has tried grafting and what happened? Did yours work?

I like watching khangs videos... his graftings have been successful ...
Ken baker..aka jsscrhtrcks had fused/grafted two pepeprs together. ..

Right now I am doing some grafting. ..

"So what would be the outcome? You would get 2 different strains of peppers off one plant right? Interesting" 

Think about the other grafted fruit you see at nurseries. For instance I just bought a Pink Brandywine tomato that was grafted on some other tomato variety for its disease resistance. It’s only going to produce the Pink Brandywine tomatoes though because of how it was grafted. You could hypothetically graft multiple pepper varieties on a single plant.

"I would say no it would not work they are two different types if you took a Chinense and put it on a Chinense it would but not chinense x annum “

I would say it’s plausible. To continue the OP’s cactus analogy I have a friend who grafted a ‘desert loving cactus’ to one acclimated to sem-tropical envinroments. It’s thriving in an environment it wouldn’t have otherwise. Or there are people that graft the VERY slow-growing peyote to cacti of an entirely different genus and it greatly speeds up the time it take for the peyote buttons to mature.

How about the people who have grafted eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers onto poisonous nightshade plants such as the ‘Devil’s Plant’. This greatly increases yield. All thanks to the rootstock.

http://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/grafting-eggplant-onto-devil-plant/

I tried to graft a bunch of stuff to my Habanero De Arbol.
It didn't work outside.Grafts lasted a long time but eventually died.

A future project of mine was going to be grafting both peppers and tomatoes onto the Habanero De Arbol and calling it "The Salsa Tree".

The Chili Pepper Institute has grafted peppers onto tomatoes, and vice versa.

**Edit: wow didn't realize this was an old thread 

People graft pepper stock onto tomato roots for added disease resistance etc. But grafting a chinense onto an annum wont increase maturity speeds. The annum part of plant will mature in its time and the chinense in its... Will the chinense part grow faster ?? Id say no as roots are generally quick growing its foliage that is the slower part. I had a Baccatum that grew immensely fast compared to chinense, but if I was to graft on a chinense section , I believe the baccatum will continue to grow quick and high and carry a smaller slower chinense branch.. grafting I dare say would only allow for double varieties with possible benefits of better water toleration etc.. From plants with less issues with wetter soil etc.

Back