food Pepper Grinder Recs?

After burning up several Krupps, and similar coffe grinders on spice grinding, I finally bit the bullet about 6 years ago and bought the WARING spice grinder.
I was sold when I read it could grind 5 WHOLE NUTMEGS.
I am very very happy with it and have never regretted spending the $98 for it.
It comes with three 'bladed' stainless mixing bowls with storage lids.

Fantastic machine.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wsg30-commercial-spice-grinder-120v/929WSG30.html

View attachment 8950
It will do anything from course grind or "flakes" to moon dust fine powder.

impending_bending said:
The one that used to be on late-night infomercials? I ruled that one out on the assumption that TV lies to me - I should rule it back in then huh?

Works better than anything else I have ever used.

Pepperjack91 said:
Beer breath I have been thinking about buying that grinder. Can you tell me about it? Pros and cons?
Pros---
--very portable
--easy to clean, just wipe interior with damp paper towel and rinse lid. Done!
--price

Cons---
--Not sure how the motor will hold up on continuous grinds, motor seems to heat up pretty quickly.--I did about 2.5 oz last weekend, took about 10-15 minutes, waiting for dust to settle where most time is spent
--Inconsistant grind (at first)
            ---I bought this thing and packed it with peppers and just kept it running until all peppers were ground. Consistancy was very fine, like flour. Not what i was going for. I found that when you dont over load the hopper, take your time, and pulse grind, the texture of the powder is alot more grainy,
like this....
12222222222222222.jpg

for me, the pros outweigh the cons.  I feel the key to grinding is pulsing the blades and taking your time.  You will have less dust this way too.  A while back I ordered some powder from another member on here and really liked the texture of their powder. It was similiar to that in the pic above. I asked what they used for making powders, they said the used the blender technique and I quote...

"I use a pint mason jar and the base of a blender. Unscrew the pitcher off the base and after filling the mason jar with dried peppers you just screw on the base with the blades. It contains most of the dust and you can then control how fine you get it. It takes time to perfect it and holding it all at an angle helps for going really fine."

Although I have yet to try the blender method I think its safe to say that either way there is some technique and trial and error involved.

Good Luck

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
Coffee Grinder for small batches or I use my Food Processor for big batches.

Halbrust said:
Does your food pro give you a powder? Or just flakes?

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:

Powder very fine but you have to do it outside or  in the garage and wear a mask and gloves or you will sneeze BIG TIME!

Good to hear. I'll soon be making powder, and the best option I have is a food processor.

Thanks beerbreath. I agree with what you say about the consistency. Now I have a very old coffee grinder I use and I can make it fine as flour if I give it extra time. But I do like you said and pulse it for a course texture. I just need to get one just for spices so my coffee isn't hot

Back