• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper health check!

You hot-heads in this forum have been great, helping me figure out what is going wrong with my peppers, and what I need to do to correct it. I'm looking for a little health check on some of my peppers now that they have been potted up to bigger pots, some are producing fruits, and they are outside 24 hours. I'm a little concerned about a couple features that seem like maybe something isn't how it should be, so I'm wondering if you could have a look at these pictures and let me know what you think.

This first pepper is a Espelette, it has two fruits growing, one pretty big. The fruit has this blackish look to it, and I'm wondering if its starting to mature, or if its going horribly wrong. I had a few days where the sun was too hot and I burned the tips of some of the leaves, but I've resolved that. At this point the leaves seem a little pale color, which also worries me a bit (ps, sorry for the dog butt):

Mp6bkg0.jpg

This second Espellette doesn't have the discoloring on the fruit, but the leaves seem a bit weak/limpish/pale:

PkVVXl1.jpg

Now moving onto this other pepper, the specific name of which I do not know. As you can see in the next two images, there are a couple fruits growing, I think there are three in total. The leaves appear to be curling up/wrinkling, which I thought in the past meant that it was in need of calcium, but I did add bonemeal to this plant when I transplanted it:

kQDZ1Ja.jpg

Here is a second image a further out, of the same plant:

L6bH0hU.jpg

Then some others that have a similar yellowing of the young leaves, along with some curling/wrinkling:

jm0Cn9s.jpg

Zh91MzR.jpg

Again, thanks for any pointers! Its my first pepper grow, and I'm pretty happy so far, but I'd like to keep these buggers happy too!

Peppers are fine on the first plant. That occurs from direct exposure to the sun . Jalapenos get it all the time. The second plant looks to be having a nutrient issue. I see that when I give them too much of something and they seem to over do the intake of it. What are you feeding, how much and how often? soil appears pretty dark. Is this because of a recent watering or do you keep them fairly hydrated at all times?

Have you been getting some hotter days than normal lately or has the direction the light is coming from changed so shaded areas are not as shaded -- The first pepper is a bit of suntan ( the pepper will turn that color due to the direct sunlight as the pepper tans to keep from burning just like if you stay in the sun too long ) - nothing to worry about.

The other plants look to also be sun damage causing the bubbling and deformations on the leaves - either getting too much direct sun for too long or could also be from having water droplets on the leaves during the direct sunlight which can act like a magnifying glass as the sun interacts with the water.

CAPCOM said:
Peppers are fine on the first plant. That occurs from direct exposure to the sun . Jalapenos get it all the time. The second plant looks to be having a nutrient issue. I see that when I give them too much of something and they seem to over do the intake of it. What are you feeding, how much and how often? soil appears pretty dark. Is this because of a recent watering or do you keep them fairly hydrated at all times?

Great to hear that the peppers are fine! I was worried they were rotting.

About the second plant's nutrient issue... I haven't really fed them, except for when I potted them up, I put some bonemeal into the soil. That was several weeks ago now, so either I put too much in there and its dealing with that, or there is something else wrong with the soil? Should I PH test it? The soil is dark because it is wet, it was raining the last few days. I do keep them hydrated, usually I try and let the soil dry out a bit before watering, but not for very long. If I push my finger into the soil and its still wet, I usually leave it until it dries out more.
JDFan said:
Have you been getting some hotter days than normal lately or has the direction the light is coming from changed so shaded areas are not as shaded -- The first pepper is a bit of suntan ( the pepper will turn that color due to the direct sunlight as the pepper tans to keep from burning just like if you stay in the sun too long ) - nothing to worry about.

The other plants look to also be sun damage causing the bubbling and deformations on the leaves - either getting too much direct sun for too long or could also be from having water droplets on the leaves during the direct sunlight which can act like a magnifying glass as the sun interacts with the water.

The weather HAS been experiencing some pretty wild fluctuations between colder than normal, and hotter (and more humid) than normal, with some intense sun. The plants are getting west facing sun, so come noon they are getting pretty hard sun until the end of the day, on those scorcher days. 

I'm careful about watering them, I don't ever do it when the sun is out, or going to be out any time soon, so there aren't any water droplets on the leaves by the time the sun comes out.

I had some younger pepper plants that had their leaves burned a bit by the sun (turned white, or dried out), I moved those inside to recover. 

Back