• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper I.D

Shorerider

Staff Member
eXtreme
G'day all,

I got given these pods from a friend that moved into a house and had these chillies growing in the backyard.

This one smells/tastes like a Habenero, but not as sweet. No pods are ripe on the plant yet, but he gave me two to I.D.
20150410_021320_1.jpg

These pods seem very close to a Tobasco hybrid I have in my garden, but the stems and leaves are hairy.
20150410_021600.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. 

SR.

The second pic you stated the stems and leaves are hairy, that would lead me to believe that they are Goats Weed peppers.  Especially since I can see some black in the one small green chili pictured with the bigger red ones. 

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/goats-weed-pepper.htm

I have no idea what the first chili pictured is, it could be a number of different chili's.  It's really hard to make a guess without a ripe chili to judge, and a picture of the plant and the flowers would also be helpful. 

I agree with the comments and haven´t got a clue what the 1st pic chili might be. Unripe 7pod douglah?

Goat´s weed is like Serrano, hairy. The pods ripen in upward position and later start heading downwards.

goats%2520weed.jpg

My individual is a bit hairier than Shorerider´s  friend´s specimen.
Strange pepper; eaten raw is an awful experience but when dried and ground as a powder, you find a delicious aromatic taste.
Has ornamental value too.

I was thinking Naga on the first also Hogleg, the shape is correct. 

The second,  is most likely Goats weed. My example isn't as hairy as the other examples given, but the pods do go black and look very much the same

See bottom right corner of pic, that's a black pod obscuring the red one. 

Thanks, 

SR

Bluesman said:
I agree with the comments and haven´t got a clue what the 1st pic chili might be. Unripe 7pod douglah?

Goat´s weed is like Serrano, hairy. The pods ripen in upward position and later start heading downwards.

goats%2520weed.jpg

My individual is a bit hairier than Shorerider´s  friend´s specimen.
Strange pepper; eaten raw is an awful experience but when dried and ground as a powder, you find a delicious aromatic taste.
Has ornamental value too.
Can't comment on either one but I have to say I like this picture with the slight fish-eye effect :party:

Shorerider said:
I was thinking Naga on the first also Hogleg, the shape is correct. 

The second,  is most likely Goats weed. My example isn't as hairy as the other examples given, but the pods do go black and look very much the same

See bottom right corner of pic, that's a black pod obscuring the red one. 

Thanks, 

SR

I've grown dozens of goatsweeds and they seem to vary on the level of fuzzyness. I've seen some like your pic, which weren't very fuzzy for goatsweed. I have a Mexican friend who grows about 50-60 in ground every year. I've seen some pretty cool variations in his, including a plant with conical small fresno shaped pods, and another that produced super corked goatsweed pods, as well as ones that showed almost no fuzz at all.

Back