• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper ID

So, I can't tell you what these peppers are. I call the "Del Diablo" as that is what everyone else calls them. If you go to the local flea market and talk the the Mexican pepper guy in the hat, he calls them that too. I have open access to seeds and plants up to my ears every year and so don't need to know what these are so that I can buy seeds online. I am just curious what these peppers are though. Apparently there is a Del Diablo pepper out of Oaxaca, Mexico, but these don't look anything like them. These start out a greenish color, then get black and then turn red. When dried they have a ton of flavor and loads of spice. I think of them akin to a Thai type of pepper buy they don't hook at all. The plants grow to about 4' tall and very narrow. I took a picture of one of the plants that has peppers (which grow upward) and then the young plant sans pods. If anyone can help a brother out, that would be cool.

Cheers,

Matt

IMGP6193.JPG

IMGP6195.JPG

IMGP6196.JPG

a couple of people have posted pics of those in the past few weeks i forgot what some of the guys on here called them but they look so unusual. i'm gonna have to try growing those eventually. cool peppers!

Mike, that totally is the pepper and yet slightly different. The google images are coming back a little bit more pointy that mine, but the leaves are spot on. I have seriously been looking for where this pepper hails from for five years and let me tell you that it is a spicy mother. Tons of flavor too for those of you out there that want to be able to eat the pepper. Definately not overpoweringly hot like some out there, but it ranks about as hot as I like to go when sitting down to a pepper sandwich.

Richard, flavor wise I would call it somewhat similar to a serrano pepper. I would say not very fruity, a lot of pepper flavor and an almost roasty flavor (not litterally, but akin to). You don't want to eat them when they are red as the green are hot enough and the red are not only hotter but sweeter and it isn't the same delicious flavor. That being said, when eating the dried pods the flavor is out of this world if you throw them into a hot pan with a drop of oil and just crisp the outside so that it adds a light smoky flavor. I eat those by the boat load in November.

These are super hot peppers for sure. Granted it isn't the same hot as habs, which just burns. Instead we are looking at a flavorful heat. I get the hiccups if I don't have the right food with them and then my ears clog up and get the runny nose and teary eyed. They are a beast for sure.

Back