• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper Identification

I grew these hydroponically indoors and were just picked today. I noticed that the texture on these are not as "ripply" as those that I grew in soil. Both are from the same seed supplier. Any opinions, thanks!
IMG_1039.jpg

well, there may be some smooth Bhuts out there, but I have never seen one...not saying they don't exist, I have just never seen one...

look more like a long red habanero...JMO

There is some texture to them, just not as dramatic as my other plant. I guess I should of put something next to it for a size comparison. These are quite a bit longer than the habaneros.

They are red chinenses but the shape, texture, and even the color looks far from being a bhut/naga type. Who was your seeds supplier if you don't mind me asking?

I had some plants that at times grew smoother pods very similar to yours. Maybe a bit more tapered and deeper red. They also tended to be smaller pods than what I considered to be normal bhuts. The same plants would also, at times, produce "standard" bhut pods. I figured it was environmental but could also be a genetic influence. Taste wise, couldn't tell a difference.

None of mine were ever that fleshy. Does it smell like a habanero? Like Beaglestorm said about the taste, the smell is unique too.
Whatever it is it looks like a nice pepper.

too thick for a bhut...

by the way...where did pepper joe go anyway...he was posting like mad for a few days...

I agree with Binchnunker, but will add that the first batch of pods I got from an over wintered but were smooth, small and fleshy, flavor and aroma being unchanged. The second batch were normal in appearance except were somewhat smaller.
DSCN0146-e1276036051376.jpg

i think this is the "big bang jolokia"

search the form for that name

it first grew VERY BIG so the owner sold some seeds but then they turned out to be small and smooth

hope i help.

Back