• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper Identification???

While shopping at Trader Joe's today I came across some peppers plants so I purchased one. Its been trimmed to keep it short and there are several pods on it. I thought it may be a Fresno but the pods are light in color and have a tail on them. Anyone have an idea? I checked the growers website and it gives no information. We will see if they respond to the e-mail I sent.

http://www.bloomrite.com/products/fruits-vegetables/edible-chili-pepper

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

i think its a type of Mirasol chile
"Mirasol" in spanish means "facing the sun" and refers to the peppers standing up like those are

only a guess

thanks your friend Joe

Looks a bit like hungarian yellow wax or some sort of banana pepper.
If it is i love to fry them in the pan with a bit of salt and oil.

Nice looking anyway ;)

I bought the same plant, brand and everything from a local grocery store. There was a tag on the inside saying "hot banana" and they weren't exactly mild either which was a nice surprise. When I transplanted it, turns out there was actually three plants in there and I had to trim off all the pods to help them stand up in their new home. Now the thing is covered in buds, easily twice to three times as many buds as there was peppers on it when I bought it.

Heard back from the Grower this morning and their response was the following.

Dan,
We are glad you are enjoying the peppers. These are an inter specific variety.

Betsy Harms
R & D Department
Nurserymen's Exchange, Inc.

Well that's interesting, Nurserymen's Exchange is in the same town I'm in. Maybe I'll do some digging and see what comes up. I heard they helped an elementary school with a class pepper project and that they had a variety that one of the growers there had "developed." Makes sense why my local grocery store had them. I don't know how I didn't notice that on my own plant, and makes it kinda weird that mine was simply labeled "hot banana" but I guess if they were just giving it that name as a reference that could make sense.

Also I have quite a few seeds from the initial harvest and have a plant full of buds so more are on the way if anyone is interested.

I don't ever recall any long thin tails like those on the tons of hungarian hot wax and banana peppers i've grown.

Maybe someone really did "develop" those by crossing certain types, or by favoring plants with certain traits, who knows....

Back