misc Pepper Jelly Canning Lid Question

Hi all!

I recently decided to try these 1-piece lids from Fillmore Container for canning my pepper jelly http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/One-Piece-Gold-Lid-with-Safety-Button-Home-Canner-Style-P5881.aspx?c=0

I have always used the 2-piece lid + band before without a problem but thought the other type might be nicer. Long story short I made a test batch and none of the lids sealed/popped.

I am going to do another batch and fill some with both types of lids to see whether I screwed up or it's the difference in lid.

I'm doing hot water bath (not pressure canning) and I thought it said on the product description for these lids that they worked for water bath canning, although I see now it also says something about for excessive heat to try a different version of the lid.

I'm not sure if maybe I was mistaken about using these and whether anyone else has experience or successfully used this type of lid in hot water canning, and whether I should be doing anything differently. Thanks!

I always use the band and sealing lid on jams. Did you leave proper headspace and process the correct amout of time?

I didn't see the link, Yes, you have the wrong lids. Pick up some Kerr or Ball lids.

Yeah I might have to return them. Does anyone know if there are any 1-piece lids out there that work with hot water bath canning? I kind of like them because I think they look more like a jelly you would buy in the supermarket, more professional looking.

Mike-RITM said:
Yeah I might have to return them. Does anyone know if there are any 1-piece lids out there that work with hot water bath canning? I kind of like them because I think they look more like a jelly you would buy in the supermarket, more professional looking.
Why do you specifically want 1 piece lids? The standard hot water bath canning lids are not a big deal to use and use efficiently. Plus the rings are reusable and probably cheaper all around.

Specs say ... Suitable for hot fill....probably should of gotten the High Heat version.

and ...(my bad!) ... +++ to what ^^^ said! 

:welcome: to THP!

Edit- for further explanation- Hot Fill method is filling the heated jar with a heated product (think jelly right off the stove,  putting the lid on and yer done.

Boiling Water Bath (as you know but for those who may be reading this) involved putting the filled jars in a kettle of water and bringing it all to a full rolling boil. 

It sounds like these lids are not rated for that boiling water process, only for filling with a hot jelly or sauce, seal and done. 

salsalady said:
Edit- for further explanation- Hot Fill method is filling the heated jar with a heated product (think jelly right off the stove,  putting the lid on and yer done.

Boiling Water Bath (as you know but for those who may be reading this) involved putting the filled jars in a kettle of water and bringing it all to a full rolling boil. 

It sounds like these lids are not rated for that boiling water process, only for filling with a hot jelly or sauce, seal and done. 

Hmm.  Actually, I have been doing both then.  What I have been normally doing, is filling the heated jars with boiling jelly right off the stove, and then sticking the lids on and putting them immediately in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. 

I followed this method because its what I read in a detailed instructional book on home canning.  Are you saying that doing both is redundant? 

Should I try just doing the hot fill method alone with the 1-piece lids (without the additional step of hot water bath) to see if they seal? 

If that works and is acceptable practice, that would be great since it would cut down my canning time considerably. 

I think you are being redundant. Jelly is high sugar and is low risk so the secondary bwb is unnecessary for jelly or jam. Other products may require that bwb, but not jelly. You should be fine to use the lids you have with the hot fill.cap.done method.

Doing the secondary bwb would work with traditional rings and lids, but apparently not with these one piece lids.

salsalady said:
I think you are being redundant. Jelly is high sugar and is low risk so the secondary bwb is unnecessary for jelly or jam. Other products may require that bwb, but not jelly. You should be fine to use the lids you have with the hot fill.cap.done method.
Doing the secondary bwb would work with traditional rings and lids, but apparently not with these one piece lids.
Thanks SL. I did not know this. To be sure I am understanding correctly....If I use the standard 2 piece ring and lid, and hot fill, I do not have to do anything else for the lids to seal and the jelly to be shelf stable?

Back