• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper leaves - edible!

I never heard of eating pepper leaves, but the other day my mother-in-law tossed a big fistful of young pepper leaves in some soup. I was totally shocked, and when I asked her about it she gave me a look like I was some kind of idiot. "Sure! of course you can eat them, they are delicious!" I have to admit she was right. Just a subtle bit of flavor. Tender and a little sweet.

More reasons to love pepper plants!

"Some types of pepper plants have poisonous leaves, such as the chili pepper Capsicum annuum. The leaves of other pepper plants, such as Capsicum frutescens, have long histories of use amongst indigenous peoples in Taiwan. Some pepper plants may require preparation, such as boiling or cooking the leaves."

I know ppl in Asia have been eating them as Greens for a very long time. I think the easiest way is to wash boil add sine soy souce, I think some eastern European countries too.

Quoting gardenweb, I believe.
Also found numerous other places, some say never eat them, some say use caution, most say about the same as the quote I used.

Probably much like grape leaves---I.E. don't think I ever heard of eating them raw, but find them used cooked in some fashion.

Completely edible and still alive. Last emyear wen I was growing. I was wondering why th leaves err being thinned out. Turned out my wife was harvesting the leaves in te Philippines we use it for a dish called tinola

I think it's another one of those veggies that need to be cooked, otherwise they will give you a bad tummy-ache! Garden Huckleberry leaves (chichiquelite) are used for cooked greens in several regions of the world, but "western" literature still warns you that the leaves are toxic! Yes, toxic when raw, but cooking denatures the bad stuff....I think pepper leaves are similar.

Back