• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Pepper Name

I had some Piri Piri or sometimes called Trinidad bird pepper seeds germinate And this is what i got
20200601_124336.jpg

ragga said:
I had some Piri Piri or sometimes called Trinidad bird pepper seeds germinate And this is what i got
20200601_124336.jpg
Funny, that pepper was just discussed by:

Grant Guthrie said:
Good to be here! We make our own South African style peri peri sauce, here in San Diego! Looking forward to having a bit of fun with you all! Cheers...
- Grant
......And.......

karoo said:
Love the Peri-peri ,
Did you have a question?

_

_

Well thank you very much for the information, because I only knew it was a Trinidad pepper that we all loved, now I know there's a lot more info on it and different varieties of it.

Hey Siv, the ones in your pic look like frutescens to me. 

Despite that annuum most commonly have a peduncle declining at anthesis, some varieties have peduncles erect at anthesis (with a nodding flower) as is typical with frutescens, and the resulting pod erect, too - often leading to the "is it annuum or frutescens" question.  PC-1 is an annuum variety I'm growing this season that does that and I think that feature, plus the high heat of the PC-1, are what create some confusion with people labeling it frutescens. 

In your pic, though, the corolla show a greenish hue which is typical of frutescens versus the milky white common to annuum.  To me, that suggests you do have a frutescens "variety" of piri piri.  I have a piri piri variety growing this season that is supposed to be - and appears to be - frutescens too.  The seeds were from CraftyFox.  The plant looks similar to yours, but still a bit different, with the pods being smoother and longer.

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours in your glog as it continues to develop.  Will be cool to compare/contrast.

BTW - I'm on-board with NECM too; I think the name piri piri or peri peri is given to multiple different varieties with the general similarities of being small, narrow, upright peppers with sharp heat.

CD, thanks for such an enlightening post! I had to google many of the terms as I'm not at all familiar with the correct names for the parts of a plant.

I forgot that I had a couple of piri-piri in soil so while the hydro is yet to flower, I found some flowers on the soil specimens. I see the greenish tinge on the flower however it's pointing down. I didn't find any fertilized sites so would the pepper still grow upright or since the flower is pointing down or will it stay down?

50020777631_1e5e79aa02_c.jpg

50021033837_d8430ecbd5_c.jpg

Siv said:
CD, thanks for such an enlightening post! I had to google many of the terms as I'm not at all familiar with the correct names for the parts of a plant.

I forgot that I had a couple of piri-piri in soil so while the hydro is yet to flower, I found some flowers on the soil specimens. I see the greenish tinge on the flower however it's pointing down. I didn't find any fertilized sites so would the pepper still grow upright or since the flower is pointing down or will it stay down?

Those green tint flowers look really cool.  It's a good looking plant.  If it can handle your TX heat I bet it will produce like gangbusters!  I see the leaves are broader versus mine too, so there's definitely distinction.  The flowers elbowing and pointing down at the calyx (what I called a nodding flower, above) is common and a non-issue.  The stem to the flower is still straight and upright, versus the curving down so common with other varieties. The pods from those should point directly up once they set.

ragga said:
Working on putting up my plant picture

I'm curious to see what it looks like.  That Trinidad Bird Pepper picture you posted looks cool!

How do you like the taste and kick of the pods from the one you're growing now?

Hello

It's piri piri
, peri peri it's the American way :D :D :D

Just kidding it's the English i
think lots of places in English is peri peri but is piri piri.

It's a tricky question because in allot of places i see allot of sizes of piri piri and it's more if you put jindungo, and malagueta to the mix ho god it's a big confusion...

I have 3 types 1 very small 1 medium and 1 large around 4-5cm i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
CaneDog said:
Those green tint flowers look really cool. It's a good looking plant. If it can handle your TX heat I bet it will produce like gangbusters! I see the leaves are broader versus mine too, so there's definitely distinction. The flowers elbowing and pointing down at the calyx (what I called a nodding flower, above) is common and a non-issue. The stem to the flower is still straight and upright, versus the curving down so common with other varieties. The pods from those should point directly up once they set.

I'm curious to see what it looks like. That Trinidad Bird Pepper picture you posted looks cool!

How do you like the taste and kick of the pods from the one you're growing now?

This is my plant

20200618_185011.jpg

20200618_163129 copy.jpg

Back