• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Pepper Pilgrimage

WarrantMan

Extreme Member
Had to take a business trip to North Carolina today (sauce - not police.) Figured I'd deviate my trip a bit along the way and stop by the Puckerbutt Pepper Co. to see what Ed Currie had in his store. I'd hoped to speak with him, but no such luck. The staff allowed me to take a short video. I had intended to do just one vid, but I got a phone call while filming and it shut down the video function on my phone (damn telemarketers...)  So I tried to pick up where I left off. Not the best film work obviously (I was in a hurry.) I left with (8) eight bottles and not as much money as when I first arrived......

My haul: Ben's Smokin Hot Razz Booty, Payton's Hot StrawberryRed Hot Cherry, Reaper Squeezin's, Chocolate Plague, Reaper Puree, Honey Bonnet and one called Gator that lists "Pepper X" as the primary ingredient.

I won't do any reviews as I think the rules here prohibit me from doing so (and it would be bad form besides..) Not a "promotion" as such either, but a kindly "tip of the hat" in respect for the dude that created the Carolina Reaper pepper. A "gee whiz" sort of thing...  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnWq61AJZp4&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm3qmJUEZPA&feature=youtu.be

In edit: I tried only two samples while there. I don't recall what they were, but the second one was so hot it "hurt my feelings" something terrible... took a while for the heat to dissipate.. It took all I had to conduct my business and leave. My "special lady friend" found this to be to her amusement and I heard about it for the rest of the trip... :confused:

Gator sauce is very hot, i have a bottle open in my fridge right now.  Love the honey bonnet and the reaper squeezin's.  Iv'e talked people into trying that mash at the fiery foods show lol.

saiias said:
Nice video Sir. Next time you plan on making the pilgrimage, give a shout out here... I live 30  min from Rockhill and would love to meet a fellow THP pepperhead.

Thank you! It would indeed be my honor. Should I find myself going near again (sometimes I have short notice in my line of work) I will contact you and perhaps maybe we could talk over lunch? Upon my word.

Reggie

WarrantMan said:

Thank you! It would indeed be my honor. Should I find myself going near again (sometimes I have short notice in my line of work) I will contact you and perhaps maybe we could talk over lunch? Upon my word.

Reggie

Sure. Thank you.

WarrantMan said:
I won't do any reviews as I think the rules here prohibit me from doing so (and it would be bad form besides..) Not a "promotion" as such either, but a kindly "tip of the hat" in respect for the dude that created the Carolina Reaper pepper. A "gee whiz" sort of thing...  :P

Nah no rules on that! I feel if you want to praise, praise. The industry is really a community. Being a saucemaker doesn't mean you have to bite your tongue. If you don't like something by a competitor that may be a different case, but no rules, and everyone has an opinion. I find the industry likes honesty, and not all 10s anyway... when a reviewer gives all 10s you have to wonder...

I actually find it refreshing when saucemakers promote others. It strengthens the community. I've heard a few say stuff like Lucky Dog is their favorite, that kinda thing. Cool stuff. Side question: Do you have any events planned, like fests, where you can network and get your name out?

THP,

Thanks, I wasn't sure, thought I recalled some prohibition. I'm cool with praise and agree it would be beneficial to the "community." I think it would not bode well for an actual "review" especially if it was not a good one, would appear self-serving, coming from another sauce maker. 

I am scheduled for a few local events and luckily the downtown Charleston market where most customers are from abroad. I've got this widget on my website that tracks geographic locations of site visitors. I can see a spike usually a week after an event (I assume when the tourists get home and share their gifts) and it is surprising where they all come from. Anyone visiting the site can see all the locations if they click on the globe or counters... I am gearing up to do the South Eastern Wildlife Expo https://sewe.com/ and will be my largest undertaking yet.... If it goes well, I will roll everything over for bigger and better... slowly but surely  :cheers:

Back