• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Pepper plant has black spots everywhere

I have several super hots growing in a tent and all of them are ver full green and lush but there are thousands of tiny black spots spread accross the leves and stems of the plants including the veins of the plant. On one of the white ghost pepper plants the leaves have suddenly begun falling off with great ease even with a small breeze though the leaves are completely green. The spots are not like burn spots they are just black and very numerous. All my searches have yielded nothing so this is my last resort.

NC2ZZFR.jpg

JAcIQr8.jpg

BXkW3xy.jpg

Looks like a bad case of bacterial spot...I just sprayed my tomato plants to avoid an outbreak of it due to all the rain. 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water, it does not cure and only prevents and stops. If that plant is near others and you can move it, do so...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looks like a bad case of bacterial spot...I just sprayed my tomato plants to avoid an outbreak of it due to all the rain. 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water, it does not cure and only prevents and stops. If that plant is near others and you can move it, do so...

Hey Joyners, 1 Tablespoon of what, exactly ;) Details, my friend! I'd love this secret formula, too, as I get a lot of rain up here in Upper Peninsula Michigan, and have struggled with that at times, too.

Hendrix1326 said:

Hey Joyners, 1 Tablespoon of what, exactly ;) Details, my friend! I'd love this secret formula, too, as I get a lot of rain up here in Upper Peninsula Michigan, and have struggled with that at times, too.
weird, I typed it but it disappeared lol. Baking soda is what i used - now I will cut back to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. 

"For organic treatment, there are several safe and convenient treatments available. Most contain sulfur or copper octanate. Or you can try a more traditional treatment by spraying with a mild solution of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), using ½ teaspoon per gallon of water."

It can burn so be careful!

"Using Baking Soda
Baking soda controls black spot to a slight extent once it attacks a rose, but only if you apply it at the first sign of the disease. It works more effectively as a preventative measure when you use it before seeing spots. Because baking soda contains salts, it can damage leaves if you apply high concentrations. Use 2 teaspoons of baking soda mixed with 2 teaspoons of an organic horticultural oil dissolved in 1 gallon of water for a safe and effective spray."

Why It Works
While baking soda is not a fungicide that kills black spot, it does create an alkaline chemical condition on the leaves that make it difficult for fungi such as black spot, which prefer a more acidic pH level, to thrive. Because baking soda washes off the rose's leaves when it rain, you will need to respray as often as necessary to maintain the alkaline conditions.

Also, watch out because it can change the PH of the soil. I just needed to react quickly and didn't have sulfur or other treatments on hand.  There is a sticky thread here with diseases that has great detail and information. 

As well, if you keep up a baking soda treatment, a good spray down with clean water before you reapply helps stop salt burns... like this guy just learned :party:  Thank god it was just a bleedin' rose bush hehe

Back