• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Poll (which should I enter in the Fair)

So, my wife asks me this morning if I am going to enter any of my Pepper plants in the Fair this year. I responded with: I hadn't even thought of that... I don't know which one I would enter.

& That's where this Idea came from.

I know I'm new here, but I'm hoping for your opinions on which Pepper you think would be the best to enter into the State Fair

Here are the Stipulations:

It has to be in a pot no bigger than 16" x 16"
Entries will be judged on quality, culture, stage of development and attractiveness of container
it will be on display end of August through beginning of September and should be fruiting @ this time

Also, I won't be able to check on it regularly and it will be there for about 3 weeks, but I'm guessing they have someone there to water it when it starts to droop.

This is how it will be Scored:
Score Criteria
Culture and condition......................................... 50 Pts.
Size, shape and development.............................30 Pts.
Container............................................................20 Pts.
TOTAL 100

This entry is mostly for fun, & I don't think I am a Master Gardener or anything.
The prizes are minimal.

But...
Wouldn't it be Fun knowing you helped pick out what I entered, if I do end up winning any ribbons ?

Now, Pink Tiger (beautiful plant) immediately comes to mind but I'd like to enter something more stable (& this is my first year growing that one from these seeds)
So...
Here is my Grow list for this year, and a Pic of where the plants are currently @ in size as of a few days ago

AJI OMNICOLOR (CCN)

AJI LEMON DROP (CCN)

AMISH BUSH (PL)

ARIBIBI GUSANO (local seed trade)
BHUT JOLOKIA RED (local plant trade)

BHUT JOLOKIA WHITE (CCN)

BISHOPS CROWN (CCN)

BRADLEY'S BAHAMIAN (PL)

BRAZILIAN STARFISH (CCN)

CHACOENSE *most prolific (PL)

CONGO TRINIDAD (CCN)

DATIL (local seed trade)

DATIL SWEET (CCN)

ECUADORIAN SWEET ROCOTO (PL)

FARMERS JALAPENO (PL)

GIANT MEXICAN ROCOTO (PL)

GRENADA SEASONING (CCN)

HABANERO CHOCOLATE (CCN)

NAGA MORICH (CCN)

PERU BITDUMI ROCOTO (PL)

PINK TIGER..? (NLCP)

ROCOTO RED (CCN)

SCOTCH BONNET YELLOW (CCN)

WHITE FATALII (PL)

TRINIDAD PERFUME (CCN)

7 POD BUBBLEGUM “Large” (PL)

left bottom four are Ground Cherry

I've never done a Poll.  and as I said, I'm new here. So if I forgot anything or this isn't in the right spot or something please let me know

I'd vote Aji Omni Color, Brazilian Starfish and/or Bishops Crown.  If the aji omni is well into fruiting it will be compelling to see a prolific plant w many pods in various stages of ripeness.  The BS and/or BC are both very unique looking peppers so they'd have that going for them.  

How sophisticated are the judges?  Are they used to a steady stream of Cayenne and Bell, or have they seen most of the wacky varieties out there?

Anyway, I'd agree with those above. 

The Bishop's Hat or Brazilian Starfishy are colorful, with a funky shape, and tasty w/o being stupid hot.  Either should make a good impression on the judges.

If you wanna go hot, the White Fatalii, for the reasons mentioned.

The Aribibi looks sorta like a big white grub to me!  I dunnow about that one!
The Pink Tiger would be nice!

I really appreciate all the suggestions so far  :)

Anyone have any ideas for a cool Pot to display it in that is within the specified not more than 16" x 16" (decorations included) ?

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
I really appreciate all the suggestions so far  :)

Anyone have any ideas for a cool Pot to display it in that is within the specified not more than 16" x 16" (decorations included) ?

Personally I feel a nice pot - with few decorations that shows off the healthy vibrant plant - would be the best route to go.  Something classy, perhaps with an information card attached that details the plants origins, uses, etc.  If I'm judging I don't want to miss the plant for the pot ya know?  

Anything white is usually a shocker for people that don't know much about peppers, as for the pot be super creative and use something you can find around the house is what my suggestion is. Also the simpler the better as far as pots are concerned in my opinion

SmokenFire said:

Personally I feel a nice pot - with few decorations that shows off the healthy vibrant plant - would be the best route to go.  Something classy, perhaps with an information card attached that details the plants origins, uses, etc.  If I'm judging I don't want to miss the plant for the pot ya know?  

yeah, personally I could care less about the pot its in usually(as long as its big enough for the plant in it)
However they are giving 20/100 points to the Container it's in (which I think is dumb)
I'm liking the idea about a detailed information card.

please keep the suggestions coming everyone

Bishops crown in a cloth pot which looks like this:

Additionally, consider staking the plant with a bishop's crosier:

Attachments

• franciscan_friar_by_macx85-d7xdlul.jpg
    franciscan_friar_by_macx85-d7xdlul.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Crosiere_of_arcbishop_Heinrich_of_Finstingen.jpg
    Crosiere_of_arcbishop_Heinrich_of_Finstingen.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 91
I would go with the Pink Tiger. It's an attractive plant, even more so if yours throws the "correct" purple striped pods. Even if it doesn't, it will be something different that the judges may not have seen before. My second and third choices would be Omnicolor and Bishop's Crown. An Omnicolor in full fruiting mode should be an eye-catcher as well. Bishop's Crown if for no other reason than size is a scoring criteria, and BC can grow quite large. The pods also have an unusual shape of course.

BlackFatalii said:
I would go with the Pink Tiger. It's an attractive plant, even more so if yours throws the "correct" purple striped pods. Even if it doesn't, it will be something different that the judges may not have seen before. My second and third choices would be Omnicolor and Bishop's Crown. An Omnicolor in full fruiting mode should be an eye-catcher as well. Bishop's Crown if for no other reason than size is a scoring criteria, and BC can grow quite large. The pods also have an unusual shape of course.
I don't think the Pink Tiger is stable enough, and there seeds came from a Pod that looked right (Not as sweet looking as Mojo Peppers though) but this is my first time growing them.
if I were, to pick that one...
Can I even call it Pink Tiger ?
Shouldn't I just call it Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta da Neyde

I'm really liking all the suggestions people, please keep them coming  :dance:

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
I don't think the Pink Tiger is stable enough, and there seeds came from a Pod that looked right (Not as sweet looking as Mojo Peppers though) but this is my first time growing them.
if I were, to pick that one...
Can I even call it Pink Tiger ?
Shouldn't I just call it Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta da Neyde

I'm really liking all the suggestions people, please keep them coming  :dance:

Hmmm, is there a rule that says your entry must be a completely stable cultivar? If so, then yeah Pink Tiger may not qualify. Not sure what generation it is now, but Enrico Lai basically says on his website that the Bhut x PDN crosses he sells are not entirely stable yet.

I don't see why you couldn't call it Pink Tiger. That is the widely accepted name given to it by the Italian association that created it, and distinguishes this strain from all the other Bhut x PDN crosses out there (Mojo Scoundrel, Black Bhut, etc)

But of course you could call it Bhut x PDN and be completely correct. But to me, that would be a little like calling a Carolina Reaper a Naga x Caribbean Hab. But all of this is just my opinion of course.

this is going great, so far it's looking like:
Aji Omnicolor,
Bishops Crown
Brazilian Starfish
White Fruited pepper (I'd probably go with Fatalii white if it ends up being a white pepper)
& still haven't completely decided against:
PDN x Bhut Jolokia... Pink Tiger? (I wish I would have taken a picture of the Pod I got these seeds from, I won't forget this year)

keep the opinions and suggestions coming, this is fantastic :dance: 

Well here is an update...

I transplanted  the 6 that were most voted for into Root Pouch's today, so I can put them in a different pot for display when I need to without disturbing them to much (let me know if this sounds like a good/bad idea)

Aji Omnicolor

Bishops Crown

Brazilian Starfish

White Fatalii (these got a Sunburn, I guess I didn't take long enough to harden them)

White Bhut (this got a little sunburnt too)

PdN x Bhut Jolokia (pink Tiger)

can I get a Bump somebody let me know you people are still reading this...

Final Decisions have not been made yet everybody! (just narrowed down to these 6)

please continue to Vote on which 1 you think I should enter.

Thanks  :dance:

SmokenFire said:

Unless you miss the plant for the pot if you catch my drift.  Guess it would depend on the plant species, LOL!

Back