• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pepper Powder throwdown at my house

Those sound great. I want to make a smoked chocolate bhutlah powder at the end of season. Also looking at a yellow BBG7/red Moruga mix and a rainbow scotch bonnet mix. I will likely smoke them all.

What's the verdict between crushed/flakes vs powder? Do you ever add salt or keep the salt separate?

austin87 said:
Those sound great. I want to make a smoked chocolate bhutlah powder at the end of season. Also looking at a yellow BBG7/red Moruga mix and a rainbow scotch bonnet mix. I will likely smoke them all.

What's the verdict between crushed/flakes vs powder? Do you ever add salt or keep the salt separate?
Preference to be honest. I love using powders for most all applications because they simply blend in. There are times I like flakes in rubs or post cooking. I have done salts but I find I personally rather keep them separate.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Preference to be honest. I love using powders for most all applications because they simply blend in. There are times I like flakes in rubs or post cooking. I have done salts but I find I personally rather keep them separate.

Sea salts w/ pepper infusion (or whatever one calls the process of tainting a salt) are my jam these days ...

I bought more salt varieties in Fall and Winter than I have in my whole life beforehand combined ...

Alder-smoked salt ... lemon salt ... applewood salt ... sriracha salt ... garlic salt ... even truffle salt, LOL ...

grantmichaels said:

Sea salts w/ pepper infusion (or whatever one calls the process of tainting a salt) are my jam these days ...

I bought more salt varieties in Fall and Winter than I have in my whole life beforehand combined ...

Alder-smoked salt ... lemon salt ... applewood salt ... sriracha salt ... garlic salt ... even truffle salt, LOL ...
Yes that I agree with was talking about mixed my pepper powders with them....I do make salts from time to time ;) 

Pastrami!

SavinaRed said:
My go to powder I uses just about every day on something is a smoked Jalapeno powder I made last fall. So this year I'm looking for a real flavorful blend between that 50-100k level which the Aji's I'm growing should provide.

When are you harvesting because ripe red Jalapeno is a very different taste to the more traditional early green? I'd reccomend trying out the latter if you haven't already, given that you already have Jalapenos.

spicefreak said:

When are you harvesting because ripe red Jalapeno is a very different taste to the more traditional early green? I'd reccomend trying out the later if you haven't already, given that you already have Jalapenos.
Last year was a green jalapeno powder. This year I will be doing both green and red powders. 

Back