• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pepper review - fish

this is another one i wanted to share my experience and impressions on....fish pepper

i first encountered this pepper in the bc catalog and was immediately amazed at the eye catching beauty of it. it is a green pepper, with white stripes, usually about the size of a jalapeno, somewhere between 2 and 4 inches. the ones pictured are all under 3 inches. the plant itself - depending on seed purity - will also have the variegation that the pepper has. one of my plants, however, does not seem to have come from pure seed, and most of the variegation stays at the tops as the leaves are forming, but fades into straight green as the plant grows. most of the others, however, have kept the variegation, but do not produce as heavily as the one from impure seed.

the pepper has fairly thin walls, not as thin as those of the chinense family, but nowhere near as thick as jalapeno. the core is fairly thick, but not to the irritating extent as that of tequila sunrise. its generally very pointed, and doesnt have the blunt rounded tip that jalapeno has. from what i had read when i was researching this pepper, it is 3x hotter than jalapeno. i think that depends on the jalapeno though.....

taste: the taste of this pepper is very unique, very different from any other annuum ive grown before. at the first bite, i was sure to keep the core out so i could get the taste of the walls alone. the very first impression that came out was strange.......golden delicious apple......im not kidding either. this pepper tastes like apples people, though maybe not so sweet. i thought it was a fluke, so bit deeper, making sure to get some of the core to see how that affected the taste. more apple.....it just became....appleier with every bite, with a little more heat than youd find in the average apple. at the end, i was really puzzled about the taste, so i tried a few more peppers from some of the other plants. nothing changed. apple taste all around.

heat: not too different from santa fe grande. it starts off slow, builds up, stays at a peak for awhile, but not too bad, then slowly drops off over the course of a few minutes. probably too much heat for most non-chileheads, but even for them should be bearable in a salsa or as a spice for probably any dish involving chicken.

heat: 9/25

flavor: 9/10

with its interesting flavor and moderate heat, i highly recommend this pepper for anyone who is looking for a little bit fruitier taste in an annuum pepper, or as an ornamental for anyone who wants the wide array of colors this plant will give you. very pretty to look at as the greens and whites begin to change to oranges and reds.

use: would go great with chicken, i think. i have yet to try it in any dish involving its namesake, but i think it would be good. i made a nice pico de gallo salsa with some of these and was impressed with the flavor they added to it. i think i would still rather use jalapenos though, or probably a mix of the two. i can only guess at how this would taste pickled. it seems to be better used in any food project that will involve putting that food over heat, i.e. sauteed peppers and onions, or maybe even in a stir fry. i will try the fish though and let you all know what i think.

4 glasses of milk out of 5. this ones a winner, people

those are a cool peppers. the color changes are awsome. taste is good to. great for cooking! the only drawback is the very low yeild compares to other strains. good review!

Back