food Pepper Salt.

BenVanned

Banned
So I had some pods in the freezer that have been there probably a little too long. I put these boys in about 3 cups of water and brought them to a boil and smashed them all up and then dumped in an unmeasured amount of salt... basically until it wouldnt hold any more. I let it boil a little longer, let it cool, dipped out as much solid matter as I could and now I have it in a jar with a hole in the lid on a warming plate. The objective is to evaporate the liquid leaving behind the salt flavored with the primos and nagas I used in the brine. Think it will work?

So I had some pods in the freezer that have been there probably a little too long. I put these boys in about 3 cups of water and brought them to a boil and smashed them all up and then dumped in an unmeasured amount of salt... basically until it wouldnt hold any more. I let it boil a little longer, let it cool, dipped out as much solid matter as I could and now I have it in a jar with a hole in the lid on a warming plate. The objective is to evaporate the liquid leaving behind the salt flavored with the primos and nagas I used in the brine. Think it will work?
if i am not mistaken(have not tried this) but you can take salt ass pieces of fresh or thawed pods in a jar with the salt and once the salt dries the pod pieces you can grind up the whole mix and BAM hot salt, depending on the amount of water you add the drying of the salt water could take while. but report back on how it worked.

As long as there is no major bacterial infection all should be well. I figure some of the remaining pods will probably lacto ferment but that should probably add to the flavor. Yea, this is going to take a while.. Probably weeks.

With that high of salt content I don't think you'll see bacterial growth, but I could be wrong. Ya good luck and keep us updated. I know howard did something similar, but he spread it all out on a baking sheet and baked it to remove the moisture.

You should be good here is my technique:

I do mine by blender, I puree the peppers until nice and smooth.. add to your favorite sea salt.. there are
hundreds of different salts.. I don't put that in the blender because I like coarse salt.. just my preference..
I put the pepper puree into the glass bowl and mix by hand for a few min until the mix has a consistent color..
I then cover it up with plastic wrap and put it aside for 6-8 hours.. after that I will put it in a glass baking
pan in the oven on very low heat (150 deg.) and let it slow bake for an hour.. check it and turn it over with a
big spoon at that time.. be aware that the fumes of the drying peppers can be strong.. so if the family doesn't
like pepper smell, you might want to wait till everyone's out for a few hours.. I check it often after that about
every 15 min or so to see how its doing .. if it is dry I'll pull it out and let it cool down.. after that I jar
it up ( I use pints and half pints) and also put it into the new shaker bottles I purchased. Those are gifts for
the pepper heads I know..

anyway my basic recipe is:

30-40 peppers.. ripe and ready.. any variety.

2 lbs of sea salt.

glass mixing bowl and baking dish to prevent any metal contamination issues

and that's it..

The variations can be many.. you can add more peppers if you really like more of a pepper powder with salt.
The way I do it leaves the salt as the main element and the pepper as the compliment..

Just my 2 cents..
Let me know how it works out.. :)

I was thinking you could also use that mix as a brine for say xmas turkey.. I have never used it that way but it sounds good.. you could always try it on a smaller roasting chicken to see how it works.. I have done the turkey injection technique and it worked out well.. with your current mix you would have to buffer the salt content ( with water/juice etc ) so the bird wouldn't be too salty to eat

I think my current method is going to take too long. I don't believe enough water is escaping the hole in the lid. I am going to remove the lid and see if I start to see any salt collecting over the next few days.

I think my current method is going to take too long. I don't believe enough water is escaping the hole in the lid. I am going to remove the lid and see if I start to see any salt collecting over the next few days.

The salt won't evaporate if that is your worry. If you have a lot of water to boil out, I'd put it on a burner and boil it. Shouldn't take but a few hours to get almost all of it out. Once most of the water is gone, you will have to reduce temps and go slower, you might singe the pepper pieces left in, but not the salt. It has way to high of a melting point.

When I did my hot salt, I got coarse sea salt and cut up a ghost pepper in a cup or so of the salt. mixed it up and the oil and juices of the peppers diffused as the salt dried out the peppers. After a couple of days sitting together, I put it in the oven on low for a couple of hours to dry out and put it through the food processor quickly to break up the chunks. It left it coarse enough that it still has to go through a grinder.

I was wrong. When I took the lid off of the jar the water started evaporating by about 10% per day. I was only using one of those scented oil warmers.

60970_307986642636544_396898466_n.jpg

25059_307059372729271_1972707454_n.jpg

528233_307986632636545_1852974977_n.jpg

76704_307986645969877_921256592_n.jpg

It tastes amazing and has a damn good amount of heat to it. I can't wait to use this process with some of my own grown pods.

Apparently my pics arent showing up.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528233_307986632636545_1852974977_n.jpg

there is one of them.

Back