• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid [pepper science] cross-pollination matrix including wilds

My plan for 2016 is, driving my private project on cross pollinating capsicums a little further.

Since there allready is a lot of pepper science on cross pollination, brought to a matrix, showing what will and what won't produce fertile pods, my goal is to not reinvent the wheel.

I found several ressources on that topic, which I'm gonna use, but especially for wilds, I practically found nothing other than eximium, cardenasii, tovarii, praetermissum and galapagoense, with the latter having few to none real information. As I do have parvifolium, lanceolatum, rhomboideum and flexuosum growing, I'm gonna try to fill the infos, needed for these species.

Is there anything I didn't see on the web on this topic?

ps: when flowering season begins, I'll start an own glog on this topic.

spicefreak said:
This is the best I've been able to find myself and, as you say, it's rather lacking towards the wild end.

This Matrix is derived from Pickersgills Polygor. Chileman does no good job on naming sources. ;-) The global action plan ( http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNAAN940.pdf ) that is mentioned in your link, however is one of the few web-documents I considered worth printing... If "Wild crop relatives: genomic and breeding resources: vegetables" by Chittaranjan Kole would't cost about 125 Euros(!) as ebook(!!!), I'd probably own a copy, too, rather than staring at google books... "Peppers: Botany, Production and Uses" by Vincent M. Russo is also a great source.

The current "common" chart ist derived from Pickersgills Polygor, as done by Brian M. Walsh and Sara B. Hoot in 2001. (  Link to researchgate )

Since I'm still more grower than scientist, this here and other articles linked there, describing the complete resolution of the genome sequence - which kind of tends to let my brain hurt...

But - all in all - your definitly right: I consider a matrix-like table way more practically usefull than this cool looking polygor.

There is more info out there.  Nigel had a link to an interesting article from Paul Bosland where he attempted to cross some other wild species outside the normal 'grids' provided.  Perhaps he cam chime in with that link.

Chris

Back