• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds pepper seed germination

I've been doing fine with my pepper seed germination, so I don't have anything to complain about, but something came up on another thread that made me want to ask the experts, just for interest purposes. I was told several years ago that you should dry out your pepper seeds for 55 days (he was specific)and then soak them in water and plant them. I mentioned this in another thread and one of the moderators mentioned that you can take seeds right out of the pod and plant them, and you would get just as good germination. I tried that a couple of times and got about half the germination rate as I did when I dried out the seeds. So, what does everyone think about this? Is it fine to plant right out of the pod? How about the time you should dry the seeds? Would a week or two be just as good, or what times does everyone think is a good time period? When i first started growing peppers, most of the general info on the internet talked about holding the seeds till next season and didn't really get specific on planting seeds within the same season. I guess I'm just curious. I treat most everything I do with plants more scientifically than many people, so I would like to hear what you guys think on this subject. Thanks, Tom

I've been doing fine with my pepper seed germination, so I don't have anything to complain about, but something came up on another thread that made me want to ask the experts, just for interest purposes. I was told several years ago that you should dry out your pepper seeds for 55 days (he was specific)and then soak them in water and plant them. I mentioned this in another thread and one of the moderators mentioned that you can take seeds right out of the pod and plant them, and you would get just as good germination. I tried that a couple of times and got about half the germination rate as I did when I dried out the seeds. So, what does everyone think about this? Is it fine to plant right out of the pod? How about the time you should dry the seeds? Would a week or two be just as good, or what times does everyone think is a good time period? When i first started growing peppers, most of the general info on the internet talked about holding the seeds till next season and didn't really get specific on planting seeds within the same season. I guess I'm just curious. I treat most everything I do with plants more scientifically than many people, so I would like to hear what you guys think on this subject. Thanks, Tom

1. Extract seeds out of a fully ripped pod is a must. You can plant right away, but germ rate will be low or nothing at all.
2. I fully dried out my seeds just for 2days full sun and I got over 90%termed. I know there are pplz dried their seeds for a week, but not 55days.
3. Soak ur dried seeds with hydrogen peroxide for 2mins
, rinse them out and plant them and u will get higher germ rate and fast germ time with less diseases or virus infection, or fungus attacks

4. Not sure about 55days dried seeds, what's matter is how ur
Stored ur seeds.

5. For those recommended planting fresh seeds off a fresh pod are uneducated people.

Oops I was just talking smack.

1. Extract seeds out of a fully ripped pod is a must. You can plant right away, but germ rate will be low or nothing at all.
2. I fully dried out my seeds just for 2days full sun and I got over 90%termed. I know there are pplz dried their seeds for a week, but not 55days.
3. Soak ur dried seeds with hydrogen peroxide for 2mins
, rinse them out and plant them and u will get higher germ rate and fast germ time with less diseases or virus infection, or fungus attacks

4. Not sure about 55days dried seeds, what's matter is how ur
Stored ur seeds.

5. For those recommended planting fresh seeds off a fresh pod are uneducated people.

6. Do not dry ur seeds on a metL plate or metal mess or directly on concrete, they will cook ur seeds. Especially for those places with day time over 90. Those surfaces will cook ur seeds. I placed my seeds on paper town on the top of a card board paper.

Good luck
Oops I was just talking smack.

I've had seeds germinate fine after planting them straight out of a pod.

My Rocoto germination rate has interestingly been much better with seeds I planted in soil straight out of a pod.

I generally dry seeds as at the time I want to save them and not sow them.

I think the person must have been saying that you can plant straight from a pod. Meaning you will get something to sprout, just not everything. Which is fine if you want one or two plants from a single pod full of seeds. But if you are going to be counting seeds and want lots of plants then I think everyone will agree that drying them is the best method. 55 days sounds like what that particular person in his climate with his methods required to dry the seeds. A dehydrator, or hanging the pod up in the wind in the desert would speed up the process. It is good to be scientific about things but not everyone else is, and you shouldn't take advice like that 55 days thing as absolute truth.

+1 with the drying then soaking in hydrogen peroxide solution method.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT dry your seeds in a dehydrator unless you know 100% for SURE what your temps are. If the temps are too high, then you will fry your seeds and will no longer be any good. Mother nature seems to have done a great job so far. If it aint broke, DONT FIX IT!
55 days? Nah, that's b.s. Leave them out on a plate or something for a week or so, and you'll be good. No real "science" needed here.
After that, as long as everything was dried correctly, and STORED correctly, then your seeds will be good for years.

The only seeds I have ever saved myself and then planted got good germination rates. They were dried between two sheets of paper towel for about three days and then bagged.

So you guys dry your seeds out, whats the humidity need to be? should they face N,S,E or West at 8AM Greenwich Mean Time, do you prefer paper, plastic, or Styrofoam plates to dry them on? Or do you use a different drying method? I dry mine between 2 flour tortillas facing South at 8AM giving then precisely 4.5 hours of direct sunlight at 35% humidity......not really

I do like to dry em on napkins spread out and labeled I also use a labeled moist napkin in a ziploc bag to germinate seeds moving them as they sprout.

I had actually taken seeds, dried them for about three days and also taken them straight from the pod, planted both of them the same day side by side and noticed a slightly better perfomance from the ones that were dried. nothing huge mind you but a slight differnece. this conclusion had already been pointed out but thought i'd throw my two cents in on the subject.

So you guys dry your seeds out, whats the humidity need to be? should they face N,S,E or West at 8AM Greenwich Mean Time, do you prefer paper, plastic, or Styrofoam plates to dry them on? Or do you use a different drying method? I dry mine between 2 flour tortillas facing South at 8AM giving then precisely 4.5 hours of direct sunlight at 35% humidity......not really

I do like to dry em on napkins spread out and labeled I also use a labeled moist napkin in a ziploc bag to germinate seeds moving them as they sprout.

:lol:

Back