Pepper shots

Last night we went out with friends to celebrate my birthday. I don't touch liquor anymore, so of course that makes all of my buddies try to get me to drink shots. I will always have a weakness for good tequila, and of course they know this as well. I came back to the table to find a round of Patron Silver waiting for me. I decided if I was going to do something I didn't want to do, I would find something they didn't want to do. I just so happened to have a ripe 7pot Jonah. I cut rings of the Jonah and placed one in each shot and let them "simmer" for 10 minutes. I have to say, pepper shots were AWESOME! Good burn, very different flavor and worked together really well.

Anyone else tried this? What are some good combinations?

lots of peope infuse liquor with peppers.. you can leave it in for as long as you want they make it really hot after a while. most people usually infuse for about 5-7 days for a whole bottle. glad you had fun and happy birthday :dance:

Hahaha! Glad you had fun on your birthday!

I and several others here have infused various bottles of liquor with peppers. Mostly I have done tequila. Just cut a pod or two (or more...) in half, toss it in, recap, then wait a couple weeks. If it's a fresh pod, I generally wait until it sinks to the bottom. Dried pods infuse much faster than fresh. But for either, the longer you wait (up to a point), the more the alcohol will leech out the capsaicin, making those shots hotter and hotter. At some point all of the cap will be leeched out, of course. The alcohol will also leech out the color, and I'm thinking it's safe to say that once the color is gone from the pod, so is the cap. 

At any rate, yes, I've done straight shots of infused tequila, but have also mixed it with various things, such as ginger ale and pomegranate juice, OJ, etc. I more frequently cook with it, though. We make a salsa using the tequila, for example, then cook fish in it. Add a splash to black beans and other sides. Somewhere on this site you'll find my pepper-infused douglah bourbon nut chews. Good stuff for drinking and eating!

Like I said. I don't really touch liquor anymore so I probably won't infuse any bottles, they would just sit in my pantry and collect dust. I rarely cook with liquor, but i do infuse oil to use in the kitchen. I like the idea of dropping fresh peppers into shots though, I will probably try it again in about a year when I feel up to the hard stuff.

happy belated birthday

and yes i made this last year, with orange habs, and fresno peppers, i wasn't patron but was an experiment that turned out very well

photo-11-1.jpg

LOL. More often than not I do have ripe supers on me. I walk through my plants a few times a day and pull off ripe pods. Then I forget to take the peppers out of my pocket and before you know it I am at a bar and pulling supers out for impromptu challenges.

My wife finds them in the laundry a few times a year and is rarely very happy about it. ;)

Back