• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper Splitting

Hey everyone,

I have a serrano plant on which many of the pods are finally starting to ripen, however, some of them are starting to split as shown in the picture below.

080912181720.jpg

I have read a few posts about corking, which is normal for this type of pepper, but I did not expect the cracking to be this deep.

I have also read a few posts that suggest inconsistent watering can lead to corking.

Is this still considered corking, or is something else causing this?

Is it safe to let them stay on the plant to ripen, or should I pick these ones right away?

Thanks,
Dan

yup...they were very thirsty....tomato's do the same thing when they are dry and get a sudden onslaught of water..

Good to know, and thanks for the advice. I am afraid that the exposed flesh will start to dry out the pepper or cause it to get some type of disease.

I picked the one in the picture earlier today, and I will pick the rest tomorrow. There are about 25 peppers on the plant, and I noticed 5 are starting to split (the ones starting to turn red) and the green ones are corking. I was trying to wait until they turned red since the grocery store mostly carries the green ones.

heck man...if you got 25...make a batch of salsa....

equal parts diced peppers, tomatos and onion with about half a bunch of chopped cilantro...salt and pepper to taste...refrigerate...it will last about a week in the refrigerator

heck man...if you got 25...make a batch of salsa....

equal parts diced peppers, tomatos and onion with about half a bunch of chopped cilantro...salt and pepper to taste...refrigerate...it will last about a week in the refrigerator
don't forget the lime juice, garlic and adobo.....

Agree with others, water increase caused it... BUT, this can be largely avoided if you water more. There seems to be a strange idea on this forum to water the bare amount necessary to keep a plant alive when recent studies show this does nothing positive, and even results in milder peppers. I suppose the caution is due to it being very bad to overwater, being fatal while underwatering just results in stunted plants. If the soil is right it takes quite a bit of water to overwater, though more than the plant can use does wash away nutrients, especially with a potted plant.

Hi Dan
Mine have been doing the same thing... It's been so hot and dry here for so long, and we got a big thundershower on Sunday. The cracking showed up on Monday morning.

Back