• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pepper Variety Flavors

I'm thinking about what I want to grow next year to expand my varieties. I currently have a Long Thick Red Cayenne and two jalapenos - not much, but enough for a first-timer. I've been trying eating some different peppers than I've eaten in the past, to try to find flavors I might want to grow. I'm liking the habs because of their citrusy flavor. But I am wondering if there is a resource that lists a good number of pepper varieties in a somewhat condensed form and specifically talks about their flavors and heat in one place. I've found bits and pieces of info here and there, but am looking for a larger resource. Does anyone have any recommended sites or books?

One other question regarding ornamentals vs. non-ornamentals. My general understanding is that an ornamental is generally not used for food - it looks pretty, but doesn't tend to taste good to humans. I'm a bit confused, though, because I've come across a number of sites that will list a pepper as an ornamental, but then say it has good or even "excellent" flavor. I know that taste is very subjective, but particularly the "excellent" and "ornamental" don't go together in my mind. Your thoughts on why some peppers are classed as ornamentals, but also reportedly have good flavor?

You can go here to look up varieties but that doesn't really help you in terms of a flavor profile. You might find Neil's videos helpful. Check them out here. Select "Uploads" and then scroll down the list on the right side.

Back