• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper with most beautiful black foliage?

Looking for some ideas for a plant with striking foliage.  Should be dark, as black as possible.  Should also grow a great tasting pod.   I mean this one should be really special.  Yes, black peppers often suck.  So it's a challenge.
Go.

purple flash which is more purple than black and black hawk are the only ones i know of but i haven`t grown them so i can`t verify how black they are. black pods are out there, black foliage on a pepper plant is a unicorn. afaik

My Black Pearl plants got black foliage.  I think it depends on how much sun they get.  I mean, they weren't as black as night, but they were definitely the darkest that I've seen.

The Kathumby Black that I had, was of an unknown generation. (I understand that it's still not stable)  The foliage was dark to very dark on top, but green on the underside.

solid7 said:

Is there more than one cultivar of this?  Because everything that I have seen has green leaves... except for just one reference.

I'm sure there is.  I posted a pic years back of mine.  Beautiful dark purple foliage and of course jet black peppers.  Can't find the pic !!!       It's on here somewhere.

ETA:  I had about 4 plants.   2 of em had the dark purple foliage.  Others not so much.

hmmmmm...ok...gotta fess up.  I was wrong about them having dark purple foliage.  It's the purple flowers that had me goin on my plants.  The leaves WERE greenish but had a purplish blush to them.  Very attractive.

solid7 said:
Do you plan to put that plant outside?  I am most curious to see what happens when it's exposed to direct sunlight...

Yes, I plan on putting at least one of them outside. I'll certainly keep my glog up to date; hoping to make them a bit of a showpiece out front of my house.

2018-ornamental-pepper-onyx-red-535x535.jpg
  Onyx Red
https://all-americaselections.org/product/ornamental-pepper-onyx-red/

it stays SHORT though !  
Would make a beautiful border plant maybe  :think:

Another option perhaps.

Pretty Purple Pepper (2009)

swm4gw8l.jpg

"2 1/2-foot plants with purple leaves and stalks bearing purple fruit that matures to red. Mature fruits are very hot -- about 5,000 Scoville units. (Not the same variety as 'Pretty in Purple')"

p.jpeg

7JPN from WHP; quite dark... nice little bastard!!

Oups...
p.jpeg

Back