Peppers and temperatures

I'm going to be brave (aka - possibly an idiot) and leave my 15 plants outside when the thermometer dips to around 48-49F with wind chills around 46 tonight .... it's supposed to drop to the upper 40's from around 4am to 6am and then climb into the 50's and hit the mid 70's in the afternoon.

What are the odds I'm being stupid by leaving them out there?  I doubt they'll die, but will they be the same height in November as they are now? lol.

FYI, these are Morugas, Reapers, Jamaican Chocolate Habs, Jamaican Red Mushrooms, Tepins, etc.

FlameThrower said:
I'm going to be brave (aka - possibly an idiot) and leave my 15 plants outside when the thermometer dips to around 48-49F with wind chills around 46 tonight .... it's supposed to drop to the upper 40's from around 4am to 6am and then climb into the 50's and hit the mid 70's in the afternoon.

What are the odds I'm being stupid by leaving them out there?  I doubt they'll die, but will they be the same height in November as they are now? lol.

FYI, these are Morugas, Reapers, Jamaican Chocolate Habs, Jamaican Red Mushrooms, Tepins, etc.
I got morugas and stuff. I put them outside in february which I probably shouldnt have. at night it was ~40s for a month or two. Nothing really happens. They just dont grow. But its in the 90s now and I think theyre growing. 

It depends upon the maturity of your plants. If immature I would recommend you do something to shelter them. If grown, however, they will tolerate the swing just fine. Pics would help.

Thanks adnewr/geeme.  They were all started inside and are all over a 1-1.5 feet tall or so.  They're not seedlings, but definitely not full-grown.  Unfortunately, I'm not nearby, so I can't get pics.

They should be fine.  I grow all of my plants outside year-round, as long as they don't freeze, they don't die.  If they stay cold for too long they can go sort of dormant, but with the temperatures you described they should be OK.

At the size you describe, likely they'll be fine. The leaves may go somewhat limp and even the stems may droop a tad, but things should perk back up when the temperature warms. I "rescued" a seedling from a hardware store one year - they left them outside and all except the one looked done in, with the stems completely drooped over and the leaves hanging straight down. This one's stem was drooping over, but not as much as the others. I couldn't help but buy it, knowing it might not make it. I'd say within an hour or so of being in the house with a light on it, it perked back up nicely. That plant wasn't more than 6" tall, and the overnight temps had gotten into the mid to low 50F's. 

Back