Peppers aren't getting hot... different varieties

So I ordered some pepper seeds for the grown this year (a bit late) but I'm starting to pod out.

First is a Biker Bills Jalapeno  from semillas.de and some melrose hot from hellhotpepers.com. There are some others but these are the first to get ripe pods.

So I plucked the first red pepper from both and ate them, great tasting sweet pepers... but they are supposed to be hot.

So can anyone give me an idea why these nice hot peppers aren't hot?

All my plants are in a greenhouse, and it's been a great hot summer. They are planted in 25liter shopping bags from Aldi and have good water flow, and enough water, but not too much.

The soil I'm using is from the planter center here, it's called Universal Erde and has the best NPK ratio for growing all types of fruit giving plants or the commercially available soils.

My guess is it has something to do with the soil, but I was hoping someone can help me understand better WTF is going on with my hot peppers so I can fix it for next year.

Thanks!

Those are among mildest and it's not strange that the first pod has no or just a little of heat. Wait for the next ripe one... if the plant was not watered too much, they will be at least a little hot...

tsurrie said:
Those are among mildest and it's not strange that the first pod has no or just a little of heat. Wait for the next ripe one... if the plant was not watered too much, they will be at least a little hot...

The watering has taken place only when the plant starts to droop, so it's def not overwatered. I've got about 20 pods on each so I"ll hope they heat up as they go.

Thanks!

Deny them water for an extended period before picking the pods. Anuums can be stressed to incense capsaicin levels.

When jalapenos go red they do loose some heat from all the sugars . Are they corking ? Pick one green and see if it has more heat  :fireball:

Back