• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppers at Kroger Supermarket - Neat Looking

I found these yesterday at the grocery store. Usually they have nothing of interest, but these caught my eye. Any thoughts on them?

The pods are bright orange and bonnet-shaped.

Chris

111912.jpg

Those do look a lot like the unknown Chinense I've grown this season. It was really fruity, crunchy, no smokey aftertaste and good pack of heat. Liked them a lot.

IMAG0560_.jpg

My in-laws bought a 50 pound bag of peppers that look'd identical to those last year around this time. I sent some to Pic1 and he grew some out. Very nice find Chris. How is the heat level?

Whereabouts is the Kroger's that had those? I'm in Cincinnati and haven't seen anything like those. I'll have to keep an eyeball peeled for them! Thanks

Not sure how G-stores do it where you live but where I live they vary items by location. For example in the Hispanic neighbor hoods they have all kinds of nice peppers but in the Anglo neighborhoods its more mild stuff, seems like profiling :/

BTW nice looking pepper, hows the taste :)

Those are sold here at Whole Foods, they're mixed in with the Orange Habanero's. It's difficult to tell the true heat, the stems on the pods appear the same as the ones here. They appear to be picked under ripened and sat in cold storage for a duration...And yes, I do have seeds to plant.

Stefan's pods look nice...but slightly different

My in-laws bought a 50 pound bag of peppers that look'd identical to those last year around this time. I sent some to Pic1 and he grew some out. Very nice find Chris. How is the heat level?
Aha........aka (flying saucer)either the Jamaican Red Squash or the Aji Dulce (chato). Either way the pods were crunchy/tasty and mild. Those were a good addition to a "Pico" for the sweet bite and color....thanks Jamie...aka (pepper producer by the pallet)

Not sure how G-stores do it where you live but where I live they vary items by location. For example in the Hispanic neighbor hoods they have all kinds of nice peppers but in the Anglo neighborhoods its more mild stuff, seems like profiling :/

Usually works that way, but I would consider it paying attention to demographics and buying habits. Profiling has some negative connotations.

If you have any nearby you should check out Vallarta or your local equivalent Spanish language grocery store. Ralph's sells orange habs for like 50 cents a piece while Vallarta has them as low as 1.99/lb.

Usually works that way, but I would consider it paying attention to demographics and buying habits. Profiling has some negative connotations. ... ...
No Vallarta's here AFAIK or I've never seen one, wasn't trying to be racist as I'm Cuban/American already :D

I'm well aware of that... Seeing as Krogers is based out of Cincinnati and seeing as Cincinnati isn't so big as to prevent me from driving to a different Krogers & seeing as the OP doesn't include his location in his profile-- I thought I'd ask in case he is in the Cincy/Tri-State area....

I thought I'd ask in case he is in the Cincy/Tri-State area....

I doubt it. What would the chances be that there were even more of us on this board. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: There is a new guy from Lima though and that isn't too far away a few others in Ohio. It does certainly seem that Ohio is well represented here.

And for the record, none of those peppers at my Kroger either.

I found some interesting Habs at Belle foods the other day.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/561636_2556295123206_145658554_n.jpg

Profiling has some negative connotations.

Almost as negative as overpaying for many of the same (or inferior) items just a few miles away at a store catering to an, um, paler demographic.

[Disclosure, if necessary: I check "White" on the census forms . . . with all due respect to my Choctaw and Creek ancestors.]

Good luck finding tomatillos de milpa at Kroger or Albertsons, but you can pay $13.99/pound for Gulf of Mexico shrimp that are $4.99 at Fiesta Mart.

The richer experience, I think, is moving across cultures and partaking of the good stuff offered by all.

. . . demographics and buying habits.

Yet, heat tolerance does not seem to break down along ethnic lines . . . at least in my experience. (That subject deserves its own thread . . . if it hasn't already had one.)

Almost as negative as overpaying for many of the same (or inferior) items just a few miles away at a store catering to an, um, paler demographic.

The richer experience, I think, is moving across cultures and partaking of the good stuff offered by all.

Yet, heat tolerance does not seem to break down along ethnic lines . . . at least in my experience. (That subject deserves its own thread . . . if it hasn't already had one.)

Agreed. I didn't mean to make anyone think I was offended with the profiling comment, I was trying to make a joke. I'm fortunate to live close to a wide variety of ethnic markets, so I can go to the Hispanic market for my peppers, produce, and meat, the Asian market for my fish, etc. The extra couple of miles can be aggravating, but it's definitely worth it to hit them up when I can.

As far as I know, the difference in capsaicin tolerance is based on previous exposure. A typical Mexican family is probably exposed to a lot more heat than a typical Dutch family, but if the Dutch family has a crazy dad who grows superhots the kids could become very tolerant and would probably be able to handle more heat.

EDIT: Sorry, to get off topic. Didn't mean to derail your thread. Those are cool peppers.

Back