• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers Falling Off

After the flowering was complete for about 10 peppers on a few of my plants, the stem for the pepper dies and falls off. Is that a sign of things to come for those plants or is it normal for the first bunch to do that from time to time and then work itself out??

I'm wondering if it's too much water as well...kind of hard to escape the massive rain fall this summer where I live.

At the risk of repeating myself........

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low

I'd get that sorted out fast up in barrie unless you plan to grow them inside once frost hits. It will take a few months to get ripe peppers from the flower stage. Are all your plants doing this?

thanks for the input everyone. I have a feeling it's gotta be the over watering. can't really control that this year....especially being on clay. rather poor drainage.

most of the plants are currently flowering or just past that stage. Things are really behind this year. Only a few have the buds falling off so I'm not overly worried about them. My primary worry right now is time. Which is running out FAST!

I live in S. California desert climate. I had many problems with flower drop. I used organic phosphate to help, and Epsom salt.

Worked great to a point. But then due to the heat, I moved my pots around between sun & shade depending on the overall weather, because I learned that no one "Fix" is the Holy Grail of Gardening.

I never knew growing things organic was so complicated, lol - must be why Commercial Farms use so many chemicals :(

Back