• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Peppers from Guatemala- ID Please

My parents came back frim Guatemala yesterday & instead of getting names & pictures of pods & bringing back seeds, they brought back pods... and several of some of them. No names. Where they were, in the Highlands people speak a local Mayan language K'iche' primarily with some Spanish. My parents speak either.

As far as I can figure, I've got Caballo (yellow rocoto), Chiltepe, maybe Coban & the only one they were given a name for- Chile Verde, which may just be a generic name for any green pepper. Any ideas? Also have a non-pictueed shriveled red medium sized pepper... sort of like a Fresno or the like.

They were in plastic bags for a few days & are pretty putrid smelling. Wondering if I could get viable seeds from the green ones. Guessing no. Hold onto them until they turn red? Not positive all will turn red. They are eaten green, they said. Probably so though- like jalapenos.

Thanks.
20150316_201818-1_zpsi6ld3hto.jpg

Now that I look at them, maybe the one on the left is the same as the one on the right, just ripe.

Thanks. I'm positive the yellow is a rocoto/manzano. You can see the black seeds in the picture. The guy my parents got it from had a whole boxful & said he makes a sauce from them. They call them Caballos in Guatemala. I think it's safe to assume the far right & far left are the same in different stages of ripening. Hard for me the figure out if that's the Chiltepe or the smaller, rounder one is.

coachspencerxc said:
Thanks. I'm positive the yellow is a rocoto/manzano. You can see the black seeds in the picture. The guy my parents got it from had a whole boxful & said he makes a sauce from them. They call them Caballos in Guatemala. I think it's safe to assume the far right & far left are the same in different stages of ripening. Hard for me the figure out if that's the Chiltepe or the smaller, rounder one is.
No idea if it's the same or not, but chiltepe could possibly be the same as chiltepin (tepin) which would be the small round one on the left. If the Oval pods on the left and right are the same, just in different ripening stages, that's a pretty big difference in pod size.

Plantguy76 said:
Hopefully some will germinate for you best of luck :dance:

MeatHead1313 said:
No idea if it's the same or not, but chiltepe could possibly be the same as chiltepin (tepin) which would be the small round one on the left. If the Oval pods on the left and right are the same, just in different ripening stages, that's a pretty big difference in pod size.

Nightshade said:
No way to know unless grown out
Challenge accepted. I'll put some in dirt tomorrow. The small oblong red ones & the cone shaped red ones smell the same- fantastic smokey smell that's filling the house.

As I understand it, Chiltepe is the regional name for Chiltepin which also very close to Tepin, Pequin & "Bird" pepper.

Chiltepe can be a round pod or a small one like the red ones below the green one.
Though the red ones pictured look a little larger than the ones I got from Guatemala.

A friend of mine gave me several hand fulls of pods a while back.
Some of each.
He says they are 2 different kinds of Chiltepe.

They are from his plants that the seed stock is from Guatemala.

He eats them green.

Here are pics of both shapes

https://www.google.com/search?q=chiltepe+pepper&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WaIHVfaVNJPgoATx5oLYCw&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

Some pictures of the ones I have are in the link I posted above.
They are from a post I did here - THP  takes credit for MY picture...no matter how lousy they are.
One is small pile of mixed pods on a paper towel and Newspaper with a box and a small buck type knife holding the towel dow2n,the other is a newspaper full of branches with green pods.

smokemaster said:
Chiltepe can be a round pod or a small one like the red ones below the green one.
Though the red ones pictured look a little larger than the ones I got from Guatemala.

A friend of mine gave me several hand fulls of pods a while back.
Some of each.
He says they are 2 different kinds of Chiltepe.

They are from his plants that the seed stock is from Guatemala.

He eats them green.

Here are pics of both shapes

https://www.google.com/search?q=chiltepe+pepper&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WaIHVfaVNJPgoATx5oLYCw&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899
Ah, thanks. Was hoping you'd weigh in as I saw through searching you had knowledge of chiltepes (among many many other peppers). I asked my mom just a little bit ago if she couldn't remember more & she, "Oh yeah, I distinctly remember one being called a serrano." The one with the curved stem in the picture is the only one that could possibly fit that description but its 1.5" long & the biggest example of the 5-6 of those they brought back. I cut it open & ate a little sliver of it (I'm a little sketched out about eating produce bought 2 weeks ago in Guatemala & sitting in a ziploc bag inside my dad's sock for the past couple of days so i didnt eat much.). Sure enough, tiny Serrano. I had a sliver of the manzano/rocoto/caballo & it was great- juicy & only maybe 10K SHU. Harvested the seeds out of all but the Serranos. Will hope they turn red & get the seeds then. Will plant a few seeds tomorrow & see what becomes of it.

Back