• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppers not hot.

My chi chien and Hungarian hot wax have no heat. Could it be from over watering? Or bad seed (all seeds are from pepper Joe) I have to water a lot due to the temps.

It was 112 here the other day with our average being about 107. The plants are now under full shade but still droop after 1 to 2 days after being watered.

Still no reaper or viper pods even tho I have tons of flowers. Probably heat related also.

Also have been fighting horn worms.

first pods on the plant can always be a little funky with shape / heat / etc.

hugarian / banana never seemed to be that hot to me. kinda a bland pepper.

Few years ago I grew Hungarian hot wax peppers and they were really hot I saved seeds from few pods and next year no heat whatsoever, then I realized (they were not grown in pots but in ground next to my sweet bell peppers) it must be cross pollination with bell peppers. So this could be your problem. 

Pepper Joe's is under new ownership and I was under the impression that it was better because of it. (To be fair, A blind three legged dog would be better than Joe himself).

It's likely because of the seeds. You can try "stressing" them, let them get bone dry until they start to wilt, then water the shit out of them and repeat the process. Worth a shot?

My 2¢

You may have low capsaicin strains, but early pods are indeed funky. Definitely stick to hotter varieties.

I hope your vipers and reapers don't turn out to be habs!

charlesquik said:
Well you have your answer... pepper joe

I had no idea about the pepper joe stuff until coming here. I had bought some ghost flakes that never were that hot. Until coming here then I tried another source and completely different. 

GhostPepperz said:

I had no idea about the pepper joe stuff until coming here. I had bought some ghost flakes that never were that hot. Until coming here then I tried another source and completely different. 
Im sure they add filler to make more money.

I tried more of the chi chein from two pants. They were hot. The peppers I ate before were the first ones on the plant. So maybe they were just those odd first peppers.

Back