• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppers popping out...now what?

well...the first peppers have popped (doing a happy dance!). I'm a newbie at this, so I have a bunch of questions like:

1. When do I pick?
2. Should I be putting more fertilizer down? (I use Worm Poop...yep...that's the name!)
3. Will picking the pepper pods give the plant more energy to put out more buds?

Any help would be appreciated, and when I can find out how to attach my pix, will do so...Thanks!

1. Pick when ripe

2. Depends on how much you've already given them and when. If it's been a while, then it's probably time to give them more. Better to continually add fertilizer a little at a time than lengthy periods between larger doses.

3. No. It is commonly held that picking off the mature fruit encourages new blooms but ultimately the amount of energy is determined by sunlight and nutrients to support effective conversion of solar energy. If a plant isn't putting energy into blooms and (growing new) pepper pods then it is growing stems and leaves more, which will eventually result in more nodes and blooms.

It is often repeated that if you pick the fruit this somehow causes the plant to produce a new set of blooms when it otherwise wouldn't. I don't mean to suggest this is entirely wrong but with my plants it does not seem to be the case, rather what happens is at a certain point it has forked off and created so many pepper pods that growing them all simultaneously to full size requires a lot of energy so the plant does not get much larger itself until those peppers are full sized at which point it grows and blooms faster regardless of whether the full sized fruit is left on to ripen or picked off prematurely. Getting larger is the key, it has to fork off to create a node for a new bloom(s) sites before another bloom can bud.

This is a minor exception. A plant remains erect instead of drooping by pumping water up its stem. The heavier a plant is the more water has to be pumped, the more energy it takes to do that. By picking peppers off you lighten the load and thus the energy required for stem support. I feel this issue is a minor one as more water pumped also means more nutrients pumped and ultimately it's about our goals - growing full, ripe, delicious peppers instead of a bunch of small green ones (unless they were supposed to be small green when eaten).

And to dovetail from what Dave2000 said on the first bulletpoint, the easiest way to tell its ripe is to have it do the full color change. When that happens varies from one pepper to another. On my De Arbol's, it took a couple weeks, but from reading similar posts, three weeks to a month is not unheard of, so be patient. I know the anxiety because I wanted nothing more than to pick the peppers right away well before they were all ripe, but I'm glad I waited since from just 4 De Arbol's I got over 100 seeds.

To add to point number one, it is sometimes worthwhile to pick and tase a sample pepper at each stage of the ripening process. It does not happen too often, but once in a while I prefer the taste of a pepper in one of the pre-ripe stages. Pepper plants tend to produce fairly well, so sacrificing a couple to the taste gods is not usually a huge deal.

3. Depends on the pepper/plant... Tepin and Pequin seem to produce time after time after time as in continously for a few months whereas some peppers produce a bunch and then that's it. If not mistaken, some plants produce peppers like maybe only 2 times per year...some only once.

# 3 I'd say is contested. Whenever I've picked peppers from plants, they end up producing a LOT more peppers. Whenever I've left them on, the plants stagnate and the most I get are riper, more colorful, hotter peppers.

I don't think fruit photosynthesizes. And the peppers have to be maintained by the plant. You pull peppers, it frees up more nodes and resources so the plant can grow more. From what I've seen, it'll at least replace the peppers you pick if not double or triple its output.

Another thing is, you have to understand how the plant operates. Seeds from unripe peppers aren't viable. The plant's goal is to reproduce so it can only do that by producing ripe peppers. You pull all its peppers, it'll make more and a greater quantity to increase the chances more will make it to maturity.

Heat is dependent on how mature the pepper is. Fruits turn red/orange/yellow etc to attract birds, which are the natural distributors of pepper seeds. Beaks and avian guts* don't destroy the peppers like a mammalian gut, the heat is actually to deter mammals from eating them, birds can't actually feel capcaicin. Anyways my point is, the longer you leave peppers on the plant the hotter and more flavorable they become.

I've also had an issue where the plant might drop peppers on its own, or the peppers might get damaged, before they ripen.

So I usually harvest them before they're really ripe, but after they've matured enough to develop some flavor. You get the hang of it after a while. If you wait until they're ripe, early in the season you'll barely get any peppers. They don't really ripen fast until Aug/Sept/Oct. I like having peppers to eat all the time, and I don't like having many go to waste.

# 3 I'd say is contested. Whenever I've picked peppers from plants, they end up producing a LOT more peppers. Whenever I've left them on, the plants stagnate and the most I get are riper, more colorful, hotter peppers.

I don't think fruit photosynthesizes. And the peppers have to be maintained by the plant. You pull peppers, it frees up more nodes and resources so the plant can grow more. From what I've seen, it'll at least replace the peppers you pick if not double or triple its output.

There's either a new node to grow a pepper(s) already grown or there isn't. There's nothing to free up since another bud isn't going to be set on the same node the large pod came from, and the resources would only be a small amount of water the plant continues to supply as once a pepper is full sized it is an already present enzyme, not any action on the plant's part that finishes the job.

I have not seen peppers double or triple their output at all if contrasting picking a pepper when full sized but unripe versus full sized and ripe. However I have seen faster sets of new blooms if the peppers were picked before they were full sized so the energy that was being used to grow them is diverted to growing a new node faster.

Another thing is, you have to understand how the plant operates. Seeds from unripe peppers aren't viable. The plant's goal is to reproduce so it can only do that by producing ripe peppers. You pull all its peppers, it'll make more and a greater quantity to increase the chances more will make it to maturity.
Seeds from full sized peppers are viable before ripe. Ripening is a sign that the fruit has reached full size for certain.

Heat is dependent on how mature the pepper is. Fruits turn red/orange/yellow etc to attract birds, which are the natural distributors of pepper seeds. Beaks and avian guts* don't destroy the peppers like a mammalian gut, the heat is actually to deter mammals from eating them, birds can't actually feel capcaicin. Anyways my point is, the longer you leave peppers on the plant the hotter and more flavorable they become.

Do you have any references to support that capsaicin is produced by the ripening process? If not, then it follows that it is letting a pepper get to full size, not the subsequent ripening that determines the heat level, although since a peper changes in texture during ripening it could taste hotter with a more rapid delivery of the capsaicin to the mouth of the person eating it.

Peppers don't turn ripe to attract birds, that would be a biologically active decision. The plant has no say over it and this is just an evolutionary thing that plants that were most likely to survive were those the birds found and those the birds found were the ones a different color than the surrounding plant tissue. The heat is not to deter mammals from eating them, again the plant has no conscious decision about it and other plants do not use this survival mechanism and further, "most" mammals don't have a digestive tract that will break down pepper seeds. So yes what you describe is what ends up happening regarding birds eating them but there are a lot of other things birds would rather eat.

So I usually harvest them before they're really ripe, but after they've matured enough to develop some flavor. You get the hang of it after a while. If you wait until they're ripe, early in the season you'll barely get any peppers. They don't really ripen fast until Aug/Sept/Oct. I like having peppers to eat all the time, and I don't like having many go to waste.

Maybe we're just growing different types of peppers. Most of my plants have full sized unripe peppers on them but none have now been producing nodes and blooms at a slower rate than expected. On the contrary it seems as though each new node being a fork from the last, that with each passing week there are twice as many blooms as the prior week or more (it gets hard to count after a while). Maybe it's a fertilizer or water thing, I don't withhold very much of either. They certainly are not lacking in blooms at all with between dozens and hundreds of full sized pods waiting to ripen.

Best time to pick, IMO...is when the last bit of green is about to fade, assuming it's a red pepper. I pick my morougas, 7's and nagas when they have a pinky-nail size patch of fading green. I personally don't like to over-ripen them on the plant. With my hot-strain jalapeno, I picked everything green for the first go round...and the plant exploded with triple the amount of fruits that went red and black very quickly (which is what I was going for). The branches got so heavy, 2 main branches broke off from the weight of chiles.

"Do you have any references to support that capsaicin is produced by the ripening process? If not, then it follows that it is letting a pepper get to full size, not the subsequent ripening that determines the heat level, although since a peper changes in texture during ripening it could taste hotter with a more rapid delivery of the capsaicin to the mouth of the person eating it."

I am using the old fashioned quotation marks because the quote funcationality does not appear to be up again after the system maintenance. Anyway, I enjoyed reading Dave2000's response but I found this point a bit on the picky side. A pepper grows to full size at the same time as it is ripening, so really the timing of the point at which it reaches maximum heat seems to be the same either way. I have no knowledge of the ins and outs of this process, but I do know from (sometimes painful) first hand experience that the deeper the red the hotter the pepper seems to be. Substitute other colours for non red varieties, but the point is the same.

Peppers don't turn ripe to attract birds, that would be a biologically active decision. The plant has no say over it and this is just an evolutionary thing.... The heat is not to deter mammals from eating them, again the plant has no conscious decision about it
When talking about evolution, it's easier to phrase things in such a way as to imply that it was directed/intended as it just makes it easier to comprehend.

It's like saying "your immune system is there to keep out bacteria and viruses". No it's not, you have no say over it. It's just an evolutionary thing and you have no conscious decision about it.

I concede that the way I wrote it could be considered picky, things don't translate well in a text post on the internet... :) ;) I'm not here to argue, my main point is I don't feel that plants make advanced decisions about what to do, and that I don't have plants that stop producing new blooms because they already have fruit on them. I've read claims that this happens enough times that I was convinced it is true but through observation, that's not what my plants have done season after season.

I'll contrast that with the okra I'm growing. It gets picked between 3" and 4" long rather than full sized/mature. If it isn't picked the plant keeps putting energy into making the pod bigger but by picking it the energy instead goes into growing a new node, bud, bloom and pod(s).

On a side note, I find okra a great complimentary crop from a psychological perspective. With the peppers you see one eventually getting to be full sized and then wait up to a month for it to ripen. With the okra you have a bloom and about 3-4 days later if not less you have a pod to eat.

#3 it depends on the pepper and whether you want to eat if fresh or not but picking will encourage new flowers pods to form. I pick cayenne types as soon as I see any little bit of red and they will ripen and dry quickly on their own in the sun even in humid conditions. Numex/Anaheim types I like to pick when part green, part red. At this stage they are still firm enough to roast or make rellanos but they have a bit more of a sweeter/riper flavor. Most of my superhots I pick in large batches in a range from slightly ripe to fully ripe depending on how many I need

Guys....Thanks so much for the information! Right now, I have about 25 to 30 active pods on each of the Caribbean Red Hot trees, and more blooms than I can count! :) The Aji Dulces (which are not hot, but are delicious) are now putting out blooms, so we'll see what happens there. I'll let everyone know how it pans out...thanks again!

Me - I like Caribbean Reds when they're red ripe but do pick some in the orange state (because they're there).

In about 3 weeks I'm going to be picking a lot of red habs when they're orange because there's too much weight on the limbs to leave them all. Sometimes I'm surprised how much a limb can bend but other times I'm disgusted to see a limb snapped with dozens of still growing peppers on it. When motivated I tied them up to a stake with twine but it's getting to be too much time and twine spent.

Best time to pick, IMO...is when the last bit of green is about to fade, assuming it's a red pepper. I pick my morougas, 7's and nagas when they have a pinky-nail size patch of fading green. I personally don't like to over-ripen them on the plant. With my hot-strain jalapeno, I picked everything green for the first go round...and the plant exploded with triple the amount of fruits that went red and black very quickly (which is what I was going for). The branches got so heavy, 2 main branches broke off from the weight of chiles.
you have a point by picking it not too ripe, as i want to do too! but is it safe to do so if you are going to save the seeds?

Back