• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers used in landscaping

I was looking at some photos of pepper plants being used in gardens, do any of you guys do this?

What types of peppers are good in gardens? I have some medusa heads, piky nu, and some long red cayennes here right now, and found an article that said sangria, poinsetta, and black pearls were very hearty as well. Anyone use others? I would love to see some pic, we are redoing the whole garden around my house this spring. Lots of room, most is partial sun because of the giant oak tree in the front and the house faces west.

Would love to see what a pepperhead can do with a garden, haha!

I would do tepins or various Birdseyes.
1) because they are hardy
2) they look great nice green foliage
3) productive productive productive
4) grow big plants.
5) great red, yellow, orange berries depending on the variety and beautiful white flowers.
6) awesome conversation piece great taste and good heat. Explosively hot for non chili heads but yet not too hot when added to food. So you can add to their dinner if you have guests or little challenges.

1072487_621570964543300_669720627_o.jpg
1072521_621570874543309_1510841722_o.jpg

I didn't take pics, but I have added different colored (pods & leaves) pepper plants to my flower beds. I alternate pepper plants with different types (colors & sizes) of ornamental grasses. Super Chile, Thai Ornamental, Black Pearl, and Black Prince were the focus of last year's beds. I had White Bullet Habs in a concrete urn with about two dozen assorted pepper varieties in containers on a small back porch. It was really a serenity garden with the added bonus of filling my freezer with pods in October when the weather turned. I plan on doing the same thing next season, as I received more compliments with the peppers than I did when I planted flowers. In fact, I designed my upcoming grow by choosing different colors, dates of maturity, pod shapes, and plant sizes just so that they will capture the attention of prospective home buyers, as I will be selling my house during the grow season. I know I would certainly enjoy it if my new house came with exotic pepper plants in its flower beds. Sweet bonus for sure.

JoynersHotPeppers said:

Man, off topic, but love the cone flowers, sadly i killed all mine along with my black eye susan and have no clue why. going to try replat next year and hope they make it more than 1 month in the ground.

AussieMitch said:
My old man has a few Purple Tiger plants in his gardens. The green and white variegated leaves look really nice.
I'm growing Fish peppers this year from seeds I got from Aji Joe. The variegated leaves and fruits from that variant is just gorgeous! I may have to procur some Purple Tiger seeds as well. I did not know there were other variegated pepper variants. Thanks for making me alter my grow list yet again!

There's many good suggestions and examples here already.
The only ones I've ever used myself outside the vegetable garden are a purple ornamental variety called Explosive Ember. They don't get very tall, so used them mainly around my patio.

LOVING this thread because this coming spring, I have a bunch of perennials that will need to be separated, and I plan on adding some pepper plants in and around the beds. :dance:

Back