• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers with No Heat?

I grew a jolokia plant and it produced only two peppers because I have been lacking sufficient care. But im sure it should have had atleast 10 scovilles rights? i mean, a garlic clove had more spice than this. I even had some habaneros that grew wildly on my property with absolutely zero care and when it produced fruits, they had a fire taste to them! What went wrong? Lack of nutrients, aphids, fertilizer?

You should try to propagate it becuase heatless bhuts would be nice for adding their flavor to sauces.. IF they do taste like bhutswhich I hear are delicious.

Some times early pods are quite bland... That coupled with some capsaicin tolerance might well mean they taste quite bland!

Even the first pods on a bhut should have some real good punch. Do you have any pics of them? Pods and plant if possible. It sounds bizzare for a bhut, even if it was a hybrid, so I suppose it's possible that you got mislabeled seed or something?

What kind of Jolokia was it? Who was your seed sourc? Any pics?
Remember that Jolokia really just means pepper/chile, so you may have a sweet jolokia
Even super-hots can have early pods with little or no heat, I've been fooled in the past.

I had this problem last year with mid-season pods. For about two weeks every pod I pulled off of about 100 plants had little or no heat. All of the pods before and after were as hot as normal. I believe it had something to do with the heatwave we had in the area. Either the extreme heat, or the fact that I had to overwater like crazy to keep the plants from dying. I lean towards the overwatering causing the lack of heat.

Back