• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppers with that perfect burn

This topic is a carryover from a conversation on another thread that AlabamaJack made reference to, when he was discussing the burns of several different types of peppers, when he said the following:

"the bhut burn is a delayed burn as most have found out...starting on the tongue and working its way back and down the throat making it feel like there is a hot coal in your throat...

the tepin is just the opposite and as you described an immediate, harsh hit to the tongue, lips, and front of the mouth...but, it subsides rather quickly...to keep that up front burn going, you need a little cayenne mixed in with it and maybe some serrano for the side burn...

this may be information you don't want to know but I will throw it out there...

there are several different capsaicinoids contained in hot peppers: capsaicin, dihydrocapsaicin, homocapsaicin, homodihydrocapsaicin, and nordihydrocapsaicin. I believe there are some other minor capsaicinoids I didn't list but they are trace.

the mouth is filled with different types of heat receptors, each having a different affinity for the different capsaicinoids...with that being said...different hot pepper varieties have differing amounts of each of these capsaicinoids...

there is not much information out there that tells the capsaicinoid content of different peppers, but there is some...

so...the main reason I started growing peppers was to try and make a chili that had the "perfect burn"...as I said on my television interview, a burn that will hit you all over the mouth and down the throat without killing you..."

After AJ said all of this, I got to wondering if there is a pepper out there that comes close to giving that perfect burn.

Of course this will be subjective to each user, but it would be interesting to hear what peppers some of you think approach the perfect burn in terms of burning the lips, gums, front, back, middle and sides of the tongue, the palate of the mouth and the top and back of the throat.

And I'd like to know if AJ has made any progress in the breeding out of his version of that perfectly burning pepper.

dvg

Personally, I like a pepper called the Tobago Scotch Bonnet. It didnt hit immediately, but built nice and slow. It allowed me to actually taste the pepper without being bombarded by heat. It has a nice, sweet sb taste to it. To ME, there are two differnt kinds of peppers...one that has a nice flavor, be it having high heat, or low heat. And the other is a pepper that is rediculously hot. i.e. Douglah, ButchT, etc. (Pretty much all super hots.) I can put the 1st in a salsa and actually make the salsa taste better. But if I am in the mood for something DAMN hot, then I throw in the 2nd type of pepper.

I will try and find some of the research I did on differnt peppers with the capsaicinoid types and percentages...

Thanks for starting this thread...after all, this is exactly why I started growing my own 12 years ago...

I just mix several in salsa. One pepper, one bite? I have a feeling some of the needed pollination while mixing through generations might not go that well. Genes being the tricky little b!tches they are. Regressive my a$$. Anyway I won't revisit that 3 months of ugh. Back on topic if someone does find a way they will get rich off that pepper.

I guess for me it just depends on the day. I like Jalapeno one day and Habanero type varieties the next in food. Superhots come in more with beer for fun.
goat weed is nice with olive oil and garlic on pasta

but what if you could develop a pepper or simply mix different proportions of different peppers to get that one good burn...the one that will hit you from your lips to deep in your throat and every where in between..."but a burn that won't kill ya'"

that is what I call a perfect burn...

interesting thread here talking about a very similar subject...post #16 shows a chart that shows specifically jalapenos and their capsaicin content broken down into the different capsaicinoids AND when each capsaicinoid is at its peak...in other words....the hottest...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/6246-capsaicin/page__hl__%22complete+burn%22__st__20

Found it...this is the list I started with the different capsaicinoid listing...

I find this stuff fascinating..

captabletl8.png

with these numbers it looks like the orange hab would be hotter then the naga jolokia? I am interpreting the info wrong?

I am sure the Naga Jolokia they are referring to is the Indian PC1...see link...

http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_db94.html

This is the reason I cringe every time I hear someone say Naga Jolokia...I am saying WTF?...don't you know whether it is a PC1, Naga Morich or Dorset Naga...and sometimes Naga Jolokia is used to refer to the Bhut and Bih Jolokia...a PC1 is an annuum and has, as the table suggest about the same heat as a good cayenne...but...it has a different burn according to the high dihydrocapsaicin level...

the different levels of capsaicinoids in the pods is what I was referring to...trying to get a levelof burn over the total mouth by using different amounts...theoretically, you could make a chili powder to have any burn anywhere you want it...that's where I'm at...

The Naga Jolokia's I got and will be growing this upcoming year will be part of any powder I make in some amount. The burn is on the sides of you tongue and wrapping under. Now this thread has helped me understand why.

Making a chili powder with a complete burn would be considerably easier than trying to breed out a number to peppers to achieve that perfect burn in just one pepper.

However, to make a chili pepper powder with a full burn, one has to identify which different peppers provide the area-specific burns in the mouth and throat and blend the dried pepper powders into the desired ratios.

But it still takes time and good record keeping to keep track of which peppers burn where and how much they burn.

AJ, this is an interesting concept. Good luck to you in your quest to find the perfect burn.

dvg

you are quite right a bout easier to make powder than breed the plant...

more information for this thread in case some did not read the link to another thread I posted...tells where some of the different capsaicinoids burn and what the burn is like...

Capsaicin - "sharp and stinging bite" located "in the mid-mouth and mid -palate as well as the throat and the back of tongue" that developed quickly and was long lived.

DiHydroCapsaicin - "sharp and stinging bite" located "in the mid-mouth and mid -palate as well as the throat and the back of tongue" that developed quickly and was long lived

HomoDiHydroCapsaicin - a "very irritating, harsh, and very sharp numbing burn" located in the throat and the back of the tongue and palate that developed and "was prolonged and difficult to rinse out"

NorDiHydroCapsaicin - Mellow, warming effect with immediate build and rapid fade located in the front of the mouth and palate

Back