• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pep's Late Start Glog

As the title implies, I got off the line a bit slow. Owing to this, only having one seed tray, and no knowledge of my seeds viability/age (given by very generous users here, I thank ye) I took a shotgun approach and planted all seeds of a variety per cell. It worked out well as some varieties haven't hit 10% germination (yet). This'll likely be pilot error as I've never planted anything from seed except grass (of the lawn variety)!

The tray, uncovered:
NqbuHMz.jpg

My chicken scratch chart:
trtKaVo.jpg

Unintended consequence of shotgun technique. Peruvian purples that were literally heaving the soil into the air as they all emerged at once. I had to push them back down multiple times. Still ended up with some helmet heads and a crowded mess:
UOe6pwD.jpg

Habanero in a cold room over the garage. South facing window was enough to let it hold onto two leaves before bouncing back (the leaves are still there looking rough, cat bite marks and all). This is the one that survived my failed attempt at low stress something or other training and was basically ripped in two when it was 6" tall. It's going ape sh*t now, at least 15 open flowers and many more buds:
mQvq2hL.jpg

Have a great season everybody!

PS ideally no one that contributed seeds to me sees this as wasteful. I know its not the best way to sow, but I panicked when I saw the calendar. Also, I figure if I get one robust plant of a variety, I'll have seeds to spare anyway.

Yeah, I'd considered a similar approach. My plan right now is leave the best two per opposite corners, seperate the cell diagonally, and grow them symbiotically in two pairs. This worked decently for me last year (the symbiotic part, nursery plants); takes the space of one plant and gives you insurance if one has a genetically inherent flaw.

Anymore sprouts that are isolated enough that I can pull without root damage to the best plants (I feel so weird, like plant Hitler, doing this stuff) will get their own container or yard space as well, ideally.

But to be honest, I'm pretty sure I'm almost at capacity with just one of each variety, when you factor in other non pepper plants. I'm definitely going to get bitched at for all the containers that will be sitting around. I planned on making another plot, but turns out I broke my wrist badly last June. I thought it was a sprain and did all my gardening through the pain. Didnt find out it was a broken scaphoid until December. As a result, had to get a screw in there for the nonunion and can't do jack with two hands, especially operate an auger and tiller, for quite a bit.

Sorry to hear about the wrist, that just can't be fun. Glad you finally got it sorted out.

Nice list and you have plenty of sprouts too!

Good luck this season!

Thanks Rynpert & Devv!

My approach was quite stupid, as is suspected. Should have saved half the seeds. All but a few varieties are thriving and were overcrowded. I've already culled the weakest and bought some bargain bin peat pots to transplant the stronger extras. I likely won't have space for all of these, though I'll try. If I can't fit them all (and they can survive my inexperience) anyone in the area is welcome to drop by to grab a few.
Seedlings atm.

X5iyNLI.jpg

Peat pots, I've heard all the bad experiences. I had a little mold, just cut back watering and poof. Didn't even need to bust out the cinnamon.
ZUlH1V8.jpg

Yeah, I transplanted six varieties at 18:00ish. ~28 varieties to go lol. They're still looking good four hours later. Couple random pics.

Leave the flowers or pluck em? We went below freezing last night or I would probably just stick it outside for more sun.
Hm76jS6.jpg

Nature's alarm clock off the side of the house. I'd assume a pileated made the more massive holes. I've found 3-4 inch beetles before so I'm sure there's choice grubs somewhere.
KEg1jbZ.jpg

Back