• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peru Purple Chilis bigger than normal, should I worry?

Just curious if anyone has ever seen unusually large Peru Purple chilis on their plants. I'm wondering did one of my plants hybridize? One of the two plants - PeruPurpleNormalsm.jpg has normal-looking purple fruits, and they ar View attachment 96974 View attachment 96975 e typical size of about an 1 1/2' long and 1/2" wide at the top and they hang upright.
But the other plant PeruPurpleLargesm.jpg (pic on the left) has the fruits hanging down and they are about 2 3/4" long by 3/4" wide at the top and they are almost black in color - perhaps slowly turning to purple. The volume of the peppers on that plant is perhaps 3 - 4 times normal-sized Peru Purple chilis.

I've never seen a Peru Purple plant with that kind of fruit so perhaps I mixed another seed in or is this normal?

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• PeruPurpleNormalsm.jpg
    PeruPurpleNormalsm.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 108
  • PeruPurpleLargesm.jpg
    PeruPurpleLargesm.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 99
I have not grown this variety before, but a quick google search suggests that the pods should grow upright, as in your second pic. The differences in size, color and the fact that pods hang pendant rather than growing upright all suggest that the plant in the first pic is something other than a Peru Purple. It could be the result of a cross, or a seed mix-up. Either way, the plant looks healthy and is producing peppers, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would just enjoy the mystery peppers, even if there is no way to know their exact lineage.  :)

I just recently bought Peruvian Arancio and I got 1/3 size of what I have seen in the pictures. They must bee very unstable strains or could be photoshopped pictures to lie to people buy more these seeds. Taste is good at least. A good baccatum flavour. 

BlackFatalii said:
I have not grown this variety before, but a quick google search suggests that the pods should grow upright, as in your second pic. The differences in size, color and the fact that pods hang pendant rather than growing upright all suggest that the plant in the first pic is something other than a Peru Purple. It could be the result of a cross, or a seed mix-up. Either way, the plant looks healthy and is producing peppers, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would just enjoy the mystery peppers, even if there is no way to know their exact lineage.  :)
Thanks - good points.  Maybe I'll get lucky and it's a jalapeno or something tasty!

Gargoyle91 said:
Black Hungarian maybe?
I would guess mine are similar except skinnier than your Black Hungarian.  Also, my flowers were white with only a hint of that nice purple color.  The reason I suspect jalapeno is that
I had planted some jalapeno this year.  Where they are I don't know but perhaps I mixed one with the Peru Purples.  Another thing that makes me think jalapeno is that only two peppers
are on the plant.  I find jalapenos can be picky about nutrition so that would be consistent.  I normally do a lot with serranos, anaheim, cayenne, New Mexico, some Indian/Ancho/Cayenne mixes, but
I haven't worked a lot with jalapenos yet.  Peppers can take a while to ripen so I have to be patient before the final taste-test.  Frankly, jalapeno or not, I have those two bad boys ear-marked for poppers anyway.

They COULD be Black Hungarian though, they just don't seem black enough to be certain.

Back