• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Peruvian Arancio drops pods in the pot

Hello everyone. My Peruvian Arancio (c. baccatum) began to set fruits after 1-2 months of flowers dropping, at the end of May. A week ago, the heat weather came up (+30C and above), and the pepper began to dropping young pods. Who is to blame - the heat or the fertilizer?

IMG_20210630_145110_459.jpg

I apply 0.4 gramms per liter of fertilizer with every watering, which has the following composition and NPK:

NPK.png

I don't add extra calcium, as my water is very hard, 400 ppm. The ppm of the fertilizer solution comes out aroun 550, the ppm of the water from the drain hole around 800-1000 for all my peppers.

proninyaroslav said:
Hello everyone. My Peruvian Arancio (c. baccatum) began to set fruits after 1-2 months of flowers dropping, at the end of May. A week ago, the heat weather came up (+30C and above), and the pepper began to dropping young pods. Who is to blame - the heat or the fertilizer?

post-16370-0-15497400-1625080483.jpg

I apply 0.4 gramms per liter of fertilizer with every watering, which has the following composition and NPK:

post-16370-0-65894000-1625080322.png

I don't add extra calcium, as my water is very hard, 400 ppm. The ppm of the fertilizer solution comes out aroun 550, the ppm of the water from the drain hole around 800-1000 for all my peppers.

willard3 said:
Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.
The above is a good synopsis that has been posted by a respected long time experienced grower here. Before we get to  nutrients - what are you growing in, pots - garden - hydro?

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

The above is a good synopsis that has been posted by a respected long time experienced grower here. Before we get to  nutrients - what are you growing in, pots - garden - hydro?
But.... not only flowers drop, but also pods :D I grow in a pot, in peat soil

It's more helpful in this case to see the plant that dropped the pods than the pods themselves. 

Young/small pods will drop at times with heat spikes and/or high heat.  You could have salts build up in your media over time depending on how you water, though I don't associate that with pod drop. That would show in the plant/foliage and flushing the media would be appropriate.  Watering inconsistencies is another factor that could contribute to pod drop.  Without seeing the plants themselves, it's hard to assess your situation.

I have an Giallo Aranci growing this season, too, but it isn't flowering yet.

CaneDog said:
It's more helpful in this case to see the plant that dropped the pods than the pods themselves.
Young leaves looks like this.

Attachments

• photo_2021-06-26_10-07-23.jpg
    photo_2021-06-26_10-07-23.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 99
  • photo_2021-06-20_09-46-20.jpg
    photo_2021-06-20_09-46-20.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 109
The foliage looks healthy, so I don't think salt buildup, nutrient burn, or even sunburn are an issue.  However, the upward curling of the leaves suggests a transpiration issue (where the plant can't draw enough moisture from the soil to replace what's transpiring from the leaves).  This could definitely have caused the pod drop. 

Transpiration issues can result from foliage or root issues.  In this case, I suspect the majority of the plant's leaves formed under less intense heat and light and the cuticle thickness (the waxy protective surface of the leaf that prevents it from drying out too easily) isn't thick enough to protect it from the increasing demands.  The leaf rolls to present less surface area to the sun and protect itself until the cuticle can thicken.

This can also occur or be exacerbated when the roots are insufficiently developed to support the foliage under conditions of heat/sun/water stress. It commonly results after recent transplanting (root hairs damaged) or overwatering (causes root stunting and root decay).  Having a properly sized container with well-draining media and being careful to not overwater are the considerations.

Hope this helps.  It may just be a matter of letting the plants adjust and they'll get to producing well in due time.

Back