peruvian sauces/dishes?

Hey guys. So I just picked up me a jar of peruvian aji amarillo, panca and rocoto. I remember seeing someone peruvian post that they were making their own peruvian sauce company, but does anyone have any sauce or other recipes that utilize any of these pastes? I've got a couple of ideas but would love to hear from this community

Sounds interesting looking forward to hearing and seeing some results. Hey BigB post a pic of the jars please. :)

Yea jhp, I actually searched the pepper first, but after i made this post i searched peruvian and found that thread. But if anyone else has idea/input more than welcome to post here. Here's the three jars salty. They had a few brands, someone told me to find one that said "inca" on it but I didn't see it. There was also a jar of liquid with whole peppers in it, but I wasn't sure what to do with those. I got this at sedanos, which is a big cuban grocery market down here in miami. But apparently we could find them at publix too in the goya/ethnic section, so i'll let you know

20150409_102055.jpg

• Salsa Criolla (Fresh peppers or paste can be used for this slaw type onion/chili relish.)
  • Salsa de Aji/Aji Criollo (Yellow table sauce.)
  • Salsa Verde de Cilantro/Aji Verde (Green table sauce.)
  • Salsa de Rocoto/Aji Rocotto (Red table sauce.)
  • Salsa de Palta (This is Peruvian guacamole but usually whipped smooth and also used as a table sauce. It is made just like guac with fresh lime juice and any of those pastes.)
  • Salsa Huancaina (Cheese sauce used for potatoes and other dishes.)
  • Mayonesa de Aji or Mayonesa de Rocoto (Peruvian mayo. Just mayo, lime juice, and any of those jars.)
  • Salsa Ocopa (Aji Amarillo mint sauce)
Sometimes mayo is added to the table sauces to make them creamier. Also sometimes iceberg lettuce. These would also be whipped to a smooth consistency.

That's why if you google a sauce you will see one that looks like our "salsa," and one that looks smooth and creamy, for the same salsa.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
They have ceviche at #1 and that is 100% true!!!!

Good stuff right there. Ceviche is pretty big down here in miami, but even still ya gotta know the places that source the fish locally. If you're ever in miami holler cus i'll show you a ceviche / taco taqueria that you'll love

The Hot Pepper said:
Sometimes mayo is added to the table sauces to make them creamier. A

someone was telling me that their dad adds the aji amarillo to mayo for sandwiches lol, sounds like a good change. What i'm seeing a lot is aji panca is mostly for marinades...is there any truth behind this assertion ?
LUCKYDOG said:
one of my Faves 
Aji de Gallina
 I'm actually making this tonight. I saw a food network recipe that said to use a fryer, but i chose to get a stewing hen because you make broth then make pulled chicken meat...i thought hens would be good for the gelatin to thicken the base a bit....unless you disagree? In which case, i'll just make chicken n dumplings tonight lol

So as I said, i was making aji de gallina tonight. Read above about the stewing hen, used a pressure cooker too. but anyways...I had plenty of reserved broth, so I also decided to make chicken n drop dumplings....then I found out i had 2 out of the 3 tbs of butter i needed....luckily benton's smokey bacon fat is always on deck. The dumplings were a little too wet to make even shapes, but it was good nonetheless. 
20150409_200752.jpg

Sometimes the ugliest food taste the best! I mean that in a good way, my chef friend gives me crap all the time for not having green in my dishes so not I add a lime, cilantro, parsley or avocado on the side for color hahahah

Man they look delicious BB  :drooling:

Those pastes are the base for many Peruvian dishes. Not sure exactly what kind of dishes tickle your fancy so i may just rattle off some names. If you google image the name follwed by peruano (and/or receta), you should get a far quicker impression on what the dishes are than if i try to describe them. Google should be able to roughly translate the recipes for you too.

Seafood:
Arroz con Mariscos
Picante de Mariscos
Anticuchos de Pescado
Tiradito
Cau Cau de Mariscos
Pescado a lo Macho
Sudado de Pescado

Stews:
Seco de Res
Pachamanca
Abodo
Cabrito ala norteña 
Carapulcra
Locro de Zapallo

Soups:
Parihuela
Aguadito
Chupe
Sopa Criolla

If you have trouble finding a recipe, let me know and i'll have a flick through some of my cookbooks. Good luck!
BigB said:

someone was telling me that their dad adds the aji amarillo to mayo for sandwiches lol, sounds like a good change. What i'm seeing a lot is aji panca is mostly for marinades...is there any truth behind this assertion ?

If you see this stuff in your latin grocery it's well worth a try. Sounds like you are descibing here... great on sandwiches or as a dip.... i think its an aji/mayo/mustard blend as strange as that sounds

61ZwopwhvqL._SY679_.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
  • Salsa Criolla (Fresh peppers or paste can be used for this slaw type onion/chili relish.)
  • Salsa de Aji/Aji Criollo (Yellow table sauce.)
  • Salsa Verde de Cilantro/Aji Verde (Green table sauce.)
  • Salsa de Rocoto/Aji Rocotto (Red table sauce.)
  • Salsa de Palta (This is Peruvian guacamole but usually whipped smooth and also used as a table sauce. It is made just like guac with fresh lime juice and any of those pastes.)
  • Salsa Huancaina (Cheese sauce used for potatoes and other dishes.)
  • Mayonesa de Aji or Mayonesa de Rocoto (Peruvian mayo. Just mayo, lime juice, and any of those jars.)
  • Salsa Ocopa (Aji Amarillo mint sauce)
Sometimes mayo is added to the table sauces to make them creamier. Also sometimes iceberg lettuce. These would also be whipped to a smooth consistency.

That's why if you google a sauce you will see one that looks like our "salsa," and one that looks smooth and creamy, for the same salsa.
. Awesome, thanks for this. Now I have a bunch of ideas for my next crop of aji!

How did you like Aji de Gallina? I have had different ways i.e. flattened chicken breasts and shredded. I've it with and without Tumeric which will give it a more vibrant yellow color. I like the texture the walnuts bring and I will also make Papa Ala Huancaina with it (roasted potatoes, boiled egg)  huancaina sauce is also made with the Aji Amarillo.  

It was good, though I didn't have the walnuts or parmesan to add to it. I added a little extra aji amarillo paste to mine for some more flavor though. Definitely something i will cook again, but will tweak it a bit. 
LUCKYDOG said:
How did you like Aji de Gallina? 

Back