• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Pest I.D.

The id thread said to do a peroxide drench. I have 3%. Any idea on quantity or how to mix a batch exactly?

Or should I just leave it for now and let the media it dry out a bit?

PepperZ said:
The id thread said to do a peroxide drench. I have 3%. Any idea on quantity or how to mix a batch exactly?

Or should I just leave it for now and let the media it dry out a bit?

If you are growing conventionally, you can look at NEEM to kill the larvae, or just use the hydrogen peroxide, undiluted.  Either one works.  If you are growing organically, I'd do nothing.  Let them be.  When your plants are established, there isn't much of a threat.  If anything, add more organic material, and let them be part of the process of breaking it all down.  If they have other food, they leave roots alone.

Fungus gnats can wreak havoc on seed starts, where no other real food source is present - but are, IMO, one of the most overrated pest threats, like ever.  Especially if they are outside.  But that aside, you have all you need to treat what you might perceive to be "the problem."

I hate fungus gnats from an annoyance standpoint. What solid7 is all true, but taking them inside is unnaceptabruh so I go straight to nuclear warfare (actually biological) before I ever bring a plant inside. What I use is BTI bacteria to kill off anything and everything arthropod.

neem/azamax doesn't kill them very effectively. hydrogen peroxide is expensive to use at medium scale. mosquito dunks/bits kills larvae. pyrethrin kills adults. (by the time they are adults they are harmless though they just lay more eggs).

soild is right that outdoors or whatever they are natural part of lifecycle and lots of other stuff eats them so it's rarely a problem. But if you are indoors and using soiless mix, they will eat your roots and they have 0 predators. so it's very good idea to get rid of them asap.

Undiluted, full drench.  There is nothing scientific about the approach.  Just get the potting mix wet with the peroxide.  It will kill the larvae on contact.

Back