• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Pest ID: What are these?

I just noticed that some of my plants are infested with small white creatures. What are they and how do I get rid of them?

I also found a few dark ones of similar size? Are they a later stage of the same species?

What Edmick said.  Fantastic pictures by the way.  If indoors, sticky traps hanging around the plants are great.  They might not look like it, but they fly.  Sticky traps made for them have a scent that attracts them away from the plants and onto the trap where they get stuck.  Takes a while, but then you can get what is left with a spray bottle of various soap concoctions that smother the little bastards.

Outdoors they havent been much of a problem for me because there is so much else for them to feed on.  The problem starts when I bring plants indoors for the winter and then they multiply and have nothing else to eat.  I rarely bring things indoors now because they present so much of a problem for the younger plants.

Here is a link that might help:  https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/thrips-control/

Thanks. The infested plants are indoors where they have been for most of their lives. The thrips could have come from other plants I brought inside, even though I haven't seen any on them, only aphids.

Back