• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

pesticide blamed on mass bumblebee death

just heard this on the radio. I believe it was sprayed on trees to combat aphids. They said they covered the trees w/ netting to prevent more deaths. Bumblebee's are good insects.

:http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-bumble-bees-die-in-oregon-20130621,0,1466945.story
A pesticide used to control aphids has been singled out as the cause in this week's deaths of tens of thousands of bumblebees in a retail parking lot in Oregon, state officials said Friday.

Nothing amusing about this, megahot. Did you miss the next-to-last paragraph?

The Wilsonville incident marked an ominous start to National Pollinator Week, an event designed to bring attention to the disappearance of bees. An estimated 10 billion hives have been lost since colony collapse disorder first emerged in 2006.

Our nation's food supply is at risk - that 10 BILLION loss is nation-wide. Why the EPA is not moving faster is a mystery. Why our media doesn't get more worked up about this is astounding. 

Google nicotine based insecticides.  I'm not a big conspiracy guy, but it looks to me like if they stop using the stuff they know is killing bees, then it's like admitting to doing it and will cost them more money to stop.  So they just keep using it like it's fine. 

What ever happened to letting nature's checks and balances just work? Seems that it worked just fine for the millennium's before human intervention.

Can you say first name mo, last name ron?

Idiots! Bumble Bees are more important than most bees as they are all weather workers.
Just another story that makes me glad I am an organic grower.

Back