• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pets and Peppers

So I planned on growing some peppers for the first time this year, but had some concerns with my dogs getting into them. I'm more worried about them eating the peppers than them destroying the plants(rather lose a few dollars on the plants opposed to having vet bills), and they tend to try and eat my dad's cherry tomatoes so I'm sure they'd be curious. So my question is, would pots and chicken wire be good enough to keep them out, or should I opt for a bed instead? 

If a bed is the better option, what are some tips for growing them that way? I planned on doing two each of Cayenne, Tabasco, and Ghost peppers(six total plants) this year and I'm unsure what size bed would be good for that. I would also appreciate any general tips for bugs, good growth, etc. Thank you in advance! Can't wait to get started with this project. 

Some people report their dogs enjoying hot peppers. They eat them, chatter (a sign of mouth pain) for minutes, then go back for more. It seems addictive to them, same as for us. That being said, I wouldn't feed any of my dogs any superhots!!!

Here's what I did for mine, an enclosed raised bed. This shows the "door" open: 
3HXigoe.jpg

Back