• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

PexPeppers Atom Splitter

Garrett over at PexPeppers sent some hot sauces over to Japan for me to try. I sampled a teaspoon of some Atom Splitter at work today and it is very tasty. It has a very sweet flavor and packs a hell of a punch.

The first thing you notice is how thick it is. Flavor wise it is very sweet. Then the heat hits and builds quickly. The burn lingers at the back of the throat for a long awhile, I think 15ish minutes for me.

This was my first time with a super hot sauce (well, super hot anything really) and I was expecting it to be overbearingly hot, but it was manageable. I didn't get the hiccups like the only other reviewer I have seen. Garrett tells me that's because this particular bottle was made from powder/flakes instead of fresh pods, so YMMV. 

Finally I will say the flavor wasn't quite as intense as I was expecting for a sauce, so I am having difficulty thinking of what it might pair well with.

Overall, very delicious stuff. Check him at at www.pexpeppers.com

yXl0bUR.png

It definitely is a great sauce, though I am having trouble thinking of what to pair it with?

What do you have it with?

It`s very good with cured meats, like Ham and Bacon. Good on hotdogs, too. I`ve also had it on a baked potato with cheese, sour cream etc. 

I also added some to BBQ sauce to get the heat levels up and it worked nicely, plus added some good flavour.

I thought there were a lot of caramel and raisin-like notes to the flavour, so it does great with slightly sweeter foods.

Nigel said:
It`s very good with cured meats, like Ham and Bacon. Good on hotdogs, too. I`ve also had it on a baked potato with cheese, sour cream etc. 

I also added some to BBQ sauce to get the heat levels up and it worked nicely, plus added some good flavour.

I thought there were a lot of caramel and raisin-like notes to the flavour, so it does great with slightly sweeter foods.

I think you're on to something here. Ham/Bacon would definitely add that savoriness I was missing. Thanks for the ideas!

PexPeppers definitely has a very high POP (% of peppers) in his superhot sauces.  Bang for your buck all over the place! 

+1 for PexPeppers. 

I have found a perfect combination for this.

Bulldog brand Tonkatsu Sauce, similar in consistency to Worcestershire sauce but thicker, often used as a topping sauce for Tonkatsu below. 

316AqZYo6tL.jpg

Plus Tonkatsu (Japanese fried pork cutlet)

main_20131011233831b99.jpg

With Atom Splitter on the side, as opposed to the usual hot mustard it is served with.

egg and ham sandwich
hamburger
since you're in Japan, those vegetable appetizers you can dip it in... even tempura
put some in your bento box.  oh yeah!  

that sweet hot flavor will go great with yakitori.  oh yeah!  especially the chicken meatball.

Back